Notices

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
Very true, kill the arrows, as it is pretty intuitive.
No, it isn't. I've made user interaction tests (with N=2 :-)
We need pan buttons due to the reasons explained above. And it doesn't "cost" much, as all buttons are thin and transparent anyway.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Anyone noticed the error banner?
The yellow "error 406" ? Yup :-)

You guys realize what's happening here, right?

You guys are creating a website to use a service *specifically* for the tablets! While I've seen every website bending over backwards to create iPod/iPhone versions, this has been very rare until now for the tablets (due to Nokia's lack of marketing and collaboration with other companies).

I know all these websites are just supposed to be downloaded to the tablets, but I wonder if we could get hosting somewhere? maemopages.com or something...

I would love to see this work continue for both google maps and possibly other websites!

The Following User Says Thank You to elimoon8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Do you have a N900 or the final SDK? The way the browser works doesn not easily allow your ideas, that's why I've chosen these solutions.
  • You can not circle to zoom in. This only scales the currently displayed page (e.g. map graphics), but doesn't send a zoomIn event or anxything similar that would allow to gain detail.
  • You can not touchnavigate directly, but have to de-activate cursor mode first (swipe from bottom left, then touch appearing cursor icon to disable). Only then you can pan and zoom with your finger. Therefore keeping the pan buttons is more practical.
Right now, there are no icons because I prefer the small, fast, independent single file solution for developing core functionality and UI concepts. Icons are just icing on the cake.
"W" stands for the Wikipedia just like "T" stands for traffic. The final solution will include a manual :-)
Anyone noticed the error banner?
Dude you rock! And yes I did notice the banners...

Code:
if(!errormsg=="")
		infoBanner(errormsg + ":" +gdir.getStatus().code);
^very slick

I made some changes for the older tablets and will leave them out of this discussion for now... but my point is I have been cobbling together crap using Googles API's for awhile now and was never very pleased with my output. Your elements were the key. :haveadrink: (< smiley)

This a shippable unit... thanks.

For your next trick can I suggest the same layout for Google's search in location please.

The top text boxes could be "Location" and "Category", where entering "Manhattan" and "Pizza" will display a map with tagged locations, and the table on the bottom would be the text search results...

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
YoDude, when the time comes, I shall be interested to see your "changes for the older tablets."

Looks nice, but for me in the UK, it doesn't like UK place names unless I append a ", uk" to the search string.

Google maps does recognise these things, probably as I am re-directed to maps.google.co.uk

Could we have a degree of localisation, either based on user preference, GPS location, IP address, etc.?

Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
You guys are creating a website to use a service *specifically* for the tablets!
No we aren't :-) The website version is only for public testing of the application - once the app is ready, I'll pack it for local installation through extras. Makes for faster startup and less bandwidth needed.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Could we have a degree of localisation, either based on user preference, GPS location, IP address, etc.?
Right now I'm working on a version where you can embed your prefs in a query string. Then you simply bookmark that adapted url (e.g. theurl?from=myfavoritestartlocation&t=1).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Looks nice, but for me in the UK, it doesn't like UK place names unless I append a ", uk" to the search string.
Google maps does recognise these things, probably as I am re-directed to maps.google.co.uk
Really ? That's strange. For me it recognizes French cities (other than Paris :-) without appending "France", either running locally or from Tom's server. Maybe it depends on the calling IP address. Have you tried downloading the page and running it from home ?...

edit: it still gives driving directions in English though :-)

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Do you have a N900 or the final SDK? The way the browser works doesn not easily allow your ideas, that's why I've chosen these solutions.
Final SDK, but tried in just desktop browser. You're right though, good point.

You can not circle to zoom in. This only scales the currently displayed page (e.g. map graphics), but doesn't send a zoomIn event or anxything similar that would allow to gain detail.
Ah yes, for such you'd need for example JS... and a 'fast' connection. I got the idea from Google Maps on iPod touch because its rather useful there. What I do is pinch zoom in, go left/right/up/down, pinch again. It goes rather quickly.

Right now, there are no icons because I prefer the small, fast, independent single file solution for developing core functionality and UI concepts. Icons are just icing on the cake.
OK

"W" stands for the Wikipedia just like "T" stands for traffic. The final solution will include a manual
Or some kind of way that user can figure this out from first time running application. Maybe like an intro mode, which quickly explains how to use, and then allowing user to 'never show this again'. I mean, W(ikipedia) and T(raffic) does not require huge manual to explain. You just have to know T for Traffic and W for Wikipedia.

But... like you say... have not tried on Real Thing yet.

Tags
google maps, microb, n900