Posts: 78 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Moscow
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
Based on my exploits, a guide to "repartition" the N900
Few questions:
What format the MicroSD from under Windows?
>> Edit / etc / event.d / rcS-late ....
Is there any program in the n900 like notepad?

Sorry for the noob questions

No offense man, but if you need to ask these questions, don't do it. You'll have tons of problems and ain't gonna be happy.

When you're comfortable with GNU/Linux enough that you know what it's about you can do it.

But if you risk it now, you get one typo in there and something, and your device is gonna be bricked, you'll need to reflash etc. You're in for a serious headache...

nice guide! But this will definetly induce breakage on major upgrades, won't it?

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Moscow
I want like this

I already restored the brick n900 twice, so I'm not scared

Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
nice guide! But this will definetly induce breakage on major upgrades, won't it?
Dunno, depends which form the major upgrades will be in.

If a stage two reflash, the formatting layout should be preserved.

If a stage one reflash, you're gonna have to redo it every upgrade.

But we'll see...

PS: Stage one and stage two, this is what I mean => http://sumoudou.org/0/6.html

Last edited by 白い熊; 2009-12-02 at 20:46.

Originally Posted by g0dzilla View Post
I want like this

You ain't gonna get this. You'll have what it calls "Memory for installable applications" at 22 Gig, so that'll be bigger. But the main mem, ain't gonna change, it can't be resized...

I already restored the brick n900 twice, so I'm not scared
OK, good, cause you're gonna be doing some heavy reflashing

Use vi as editor, it's allready installed on the N900, it ain't for the meek, so be sure to google up some intro guide on how to use vi to edit stuff.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I am a little disappointed at the thought you need vfat for the camera to save to. Surely that limits the file size of video files captured using the camera? Plus if you capture a lot of video, 2GB is going to seem tiny.

I was rather hoping I could remove the vfat entirely and make it a big ext3 instead. If Nokia have built the camera app so it needs vfat that is a pretty narrow minded move IMO. I get why it might need vfat specific support, but it should still function without it.

Yep, agreed. That was what I wanted to do as well, but no go, without it you ain't gonna take no pictures.

If you need more space than 2 Gig, then make some compromise, like repartition it 10-10 or so between the two partitions

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Hopefully I won't need more than 2GB as the larger stuff is going to be emulator ROMs etc which you should be able to store in your home directory anyway. But its still annoying, ditching the /opt partition would have meant you never had to worry about what was sitting where, except unoptified packages.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Well I went at it myself before stumpling on this... What I did was actually reformat MyDocs to ext2 then had to modify a few scripts to actually get it to be mounted as ext2... else it kept trying to do vfat.

So question... why does it need to regenerate fstab on EACH AND EVERY BOOT.

Another thing... I'm planing to repartition as well. I'll probably do something like:

/usr - 5gb
/opt - 2gb <-- this is temporary until I figure out how to get my own repos and builds going for normal /usr install - this will also be a symlink to /home/opt since some thigns install there atm.
/var - 2gb
/home - whatever is left

If anyone has any other ideas for repartitioning let me know. I'll probably write this up into a script so it can be easier ran.

Also need to replace the rcS-late with something that doesn't overwrite fstab and generally just does a mount /usr /var /home etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post: