Active Topics

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
It REQUIRES a data connection?
No.

Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
I have an 8 year old Garmin GPS that is not a phone and has no data connection and it works just fine as a GPS. And it gets a satellite lock typically before I can back the car out of the driveway.
So does the N900, but having a data connection helps getting a lock far quicker. This is A-GPS.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
So does the N900
Have you tried it? I turned off my net connection and the GPS stopped working (although the device only had half the sky unobstructed). There is apparently an issue with the power saving turning off the GPS chipset before it is able to get an unassisted lock.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
It's a bug https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5337 and hopefully it gets fixed.
Everyone please go vote for this bug.
You have to register with the bug tracker.
Then you have to struggle a bit to understand the bug voting UI.
After you vote, make sure it shows you a summary indicating your vote was recorded.
Once you get the hang of it, it's easy. You'll be able to vote for any bug that is important to you.
Using the bug tracker to vote for bugs is MUCH more effective than complaining in this forum. Don't waste too much your time here if you are bothered by a bug -- go vote for the bug!
https://bugs.maemo.org/

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Ok, I have to ask...why the hell would anyone let a 2 year old play with their N810?
I've written a simple drawing program (like the sketch on it, but with fullscreen drawing and quick clear screen from ESC and it makes funny noises occasionally) for my daughter (18months) and she loves that.

Go to Settings > Connectivity > Location and deselect enable underneath Network positioning then press save.

Edit:I've had one comment on Bugzilla, this did not work for them.
Can people post in this thread stating whether it worked or did not work for them and under what circumstances it worked/didn't work.

My N900 got a fast fix under clear skies and my desk near the window, the GPS tracking is near-enough real-time.

Last edited by andyfrommk; 2009-11-26 at 19:24.

Thanks for starting this thread as I am also interested in the N900 mapping and navigation capabilities. I am currently using a Nokia N95 8GB smartphone and have experience with Nokia's charged
Navigation (Turn-by-Turn) application/feature.

As far as the N900 I suppose it couldn't be as slow as the N95 to lock onto the Sat-Lock. But once the N95 is locked it gets good reception. I would assume the same for the N900. I am trying to decide if I want to purchase a new N900.

Compared to a standard GPS unit (Garmin) the Nokia Maps/A-GPS/GPS/Navigator(Turn-by-Turn) audible voice navigation did not loose sat-lock as much as a standard GPS unit would. And the Nokia Navigation Turn-by-Turn is quite a chatty kathy (compared to a standard GPS unit) which is nice cause I could just listen and keep my eyes on the road. However, the Nokia Maps software routed me through the worst path to get to my final point of destination compared to a Garmin GPS unit.

Is the OVI Maps any better? Will Nokia still charge for voice Turn-by-Turn Navigation on the N900? No free voice Navigation offer for new N900 purchases?

I would like to see Andriod's Google Navigation become compatible with the N900 also. As MOUNTAINX posted couldn't the Google Navigation be ported to the N900? Considering with the N900 user has access to root and Andriod and Maemo are both versions of linux. I saw on an online video that N900 had a google voice websearch app installed.

So the GPS software and VOIP capabilities are keeping me from making the N900 purchase.

Now that FRING has video VOIP chat on their new software release for Symbian, Maemo shouldn't be far off right?

I would like to see if Garmin Mobile XT could be ran on the N900, anybody know? Officially it is not supported, but the N900 does have the memory card drive for it, and the Garmin Mobile XT does support the Nokia N95, etc.

Anybody know more information on the GPS software compatible with the N900 other than OVI Maps?

Thanks!

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
To add some perspective, here is a thread about GPS issues on the Droid.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tec...html#post34775

I'm having the same problem with finding the GPS satellites. Similarly, I have "Use GPS Satellites" selected, but the Droid never finds them. I too installed "GPS Status", but it has never shown any satellites, and the searching indicator continuously circles. I've been outside with no overhead obstructions for hours at a time ... but to no avail. It will not find any satellites. Have others had this problem ... and have you been able to fix it?

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

What i have understood is that N900 use same GPS chipsets as Omnia HD so you could say it's next generation compared to new arm11 Nokia S60 phones.
So there should be potential hw wise, but the ovi maps on Maemo just don't deliver.

I would like the map program to track my location and move the map as I drive without having to specify a route. Am I missing a setting?

I have the same issue with GPS mentioned here. If I turn off A-GPS, I do not get a GPS lock.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Poland
Originally Posted by rblanco View Post
...So the GPS software and VOIP capabilities are keeping me from making the N900 purchase.
SIP inbuild capabilities work just fine, did succesfully configured myself voipdiscount.com VOIP provider and it works like a charm...

Bundled OVI Maps is what that sucks, useless without turn-by-turn navi...

Tags
gps, n900, navigation