Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
This was a tough topic. Albeit for a very different reason from most older topics. This one was difficult because I had too many candidates, not too few. For a long time I was considering submitting this picture from another thread. I was also considering a picture of my kids horse riding (as the topic did not specify whose hobby it should be about). Or a photo of my newly tiled bathroom. Or my garden. Or a screenshot of a Maemo app I am in the middle of developing.

Eventually I decided to go with this one as it characterises me the best. Both in its nature and in its state of (in)completeness.

It is a project I started some 3 or 4 years ago. Having a family and a job with a long commute, I find very little spare time to move it forward. I could not even find the time all weekend to take this picture, I had to take it to work and take this photo during my lunch break. But I hope to get there at some point. Maybe when the kids grow up and go to college

It is a 2-channel oscilloscope with an LED matrix display instead of a CRT. Built exclusively with old components I found in the drawers, desoldered from discarded old devices or purchased cheaply at various old-school radio or electronic fairs.

Taken today, 27 April, with my beloved N900.

Name:  20150427_001.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  69.1 KB

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-04-27 at 21:10. Reason: Spelling

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
My son and I hike together (or explore as he likes to say...) just about every chance we get. As soon as winter is over, we are at it again.
We came upon this structure near a cliff looking over a small ravine. I have no idea who created it, or what its purpose would be.
Taken with my 808.

EDIT: I don't know why the picture isn't showing up... Here is a link to the photo.

Last edited by imaginaryenemy; 2015-04-27 at 18:33.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I don't see the photo in your post, but it shows the link if I quote your post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
We came upon this structure near a cliff looking over a small ravine. I have no idea who created it, or what its purpose would be.
Taken with my 808.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/hoppysfavorite/0ZkWo9
I couldn't see the image on TMO, either, but link pasted in browser loads up the flicker pic fine. And on looking at it, I think I should ask if there are any Blair Witch types running around in your neck of the woods . . .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I couldn't see the image on TMO, either, but link pasted in browser loads up the flicker pic fine. And on looking at it, I think I should ask if there are any Blair Witch types running around in your neck of the woods . . .
I might have to start paying attention to that possibility...

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
pichlo, nice.
I myself have started fiddling around with electronics and soldering but I don't have the money for a decent soldering iron yet so that will have to wait.

imaginaryenemy hiking is great. Especially when you get to the top. But it's mainly good fun when going with friends.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
I myself have started fiddling around with electronics and soldering but I don't have the money for a decent soldering iron yet so that will have to wait.
It is a sign of bad craftmanship to blame your tools

I have been using a transformer soldering iron for 30 years. Yes, the same one all this time. Something like this but much, much older and simpler:

http://www.tme.eu/en/details/wel.810...weller/8100uc/

Only very recently did I upgrade to a "micro" iron. And guess what? I went for tbe cheapest. It works fine. Something like this, only mine is 30W:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/40w-soldering-kit-n90ll

Sure, for any professional work I would invest in something more advanced, with a micro tip, temperature control and built-in water feature with lights and music, but for the occasional hobbying what I have is perfectly adequate.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
As Pichlo mentioned "the topic did not specify whose hobby it should be about" so I'm here to share some hobby from Prague, Czech.

Lot people is using this machine on the street, seems not only tourists. Picture took last week in Prague by Nexus 6.

P.S: Also there is some local hobby here in Cambridge especially popular in spring. Taken with my Nokia 808.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2015-04-29 at 22:13.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL
Seems it's too late, but as Half-Life_4_Life did not close the contest yet, I'll share something.

Made with Nokia N9, of course.

No, my hobby isn't leafing out it's just a photo I made on my last geohashing trip. I think many of you have heard of geohashing, for others --- there are the rules.

Trip was unsuccessful; mere 10 m before target I was stopped by incredibly swampy lakeshore. For a quick glimpse of my region, another (non-contest) photo from that day: green fields forward, city ~100m behind me, big coal mine ~1km to the right, swampy lake with boars' trails ~20m left, bones of some unfortunate traveller nearby

My other hobby -- one that needs some actual work and preparation instead of wandering through bushes -- is romanesque architecture and sculpture. This month I did not manage to visit a single place, though that would surely result in some more interesting photos.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to briest For This Useful Post:
I love your non-contest photo. The sun glare, the bones and the dead vegetation still sticking up in the foreground give it an eerie yet strangely romantic look.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
april, camera, competition, hobbies, interests, passion