Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
GPRS triangulation or whatever they do is FAR less accurate than GPS. I haven't seen anything about 3 yet.
I didn't speak about 'accuracy', I spoke about 'refining' the location, which is what I have read is being done....whatever 'refining' is (triangulation etc)....the ultimate purpose of such 'refining' is to provide accurate geotagging information.

Bear in mind that, mathematically, a GPRS triangulation can be used to further reduce the error in GPS locations - especially if only only 1 or two satellites are locked. I have no idea how accurate the N900 GPS hardware is on its own.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The manual has lots of typos. A bit disappointing.

I hope it isn't the final version.
I've started filing bugs in Bugzilla. Feel free to assist.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
How the fsck are we supposed to protect it then?
I noticed that too.

On my N800 with a screen protector, I notice that the screen is still pretty responsive when using a stylus. However, finger swiping for things like kinetic scrolling feels a little awkward.

I wonder if it is the case that we are not going to get the true feel of the UI if we slap a protector on the screen. I would love to protect the screen from scratches with a protector (and I still intend on using the stylus a lot), but I am debating if this is the right thing to do since the UI involves a lot of finger swiping.

You can install XPI based add-ons for the browser
Now THAT are great news! Adblock+ and DownThemAll FTW!

The Following User Says Thank You to solideogloria For This Useful Post:
FirFirst stage is acquiring and supposedly writing of GPS data in
XMP metadata of image. Second stage is translating it to human
readable form like 'Warsaw, Poland' to write in IPTC/XMP tags.
Second stage can be realised in two ways.
a) don't use GPS but GSM; frankly I don't know how cell towers
are presenting themselves but after quick google looks like most popular mehod is to upload cellid to server to get location; on device database would quickly become obsolete and useless
b) second way is to use GPS data and database which connect numbers with physical locations; to get reasonable precision for whole world such base should be very big, too big to keep on device
As you see, to make 'translation' working n900 has to upload data about my current location to some server.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Houston
i've read the manual three times now, LOL

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
It's funny how interested I am to read this manual, whereas I hardly glanced at the one that came with my N810! (Of course, I had the real device in my hands then...)

it's like reading the sales ads during the holidays!

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
On page 16, when talking about the X button (I think on the dashboard showing the thumbnails of running apps, but it isn't clear), it says:

Select X. All unsaved changes and selections are cancelled.
Does that mean that if you close, say, a text editor with unsaved changes, it won't prompt you to save?

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
On page 16, when talking about the X button (I think on the dashboard showing the thumbnails of running apps, but it isn't clear), it says:

Does that mean that if you close, say, a text editor with unsaved changes, it won't prompt you to save?
i guess so, hmm