Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Just seen this slide http://www.umpcportal.com/wp-content...ture_00075.jpg

The slide came via UMPC, but doesn't expand on it.

Is this restricting or just allowing drm files?

Rich

Last edited by richie; 2009-10-10 at 22:25. Reason: title amend

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
This just allows DRM files to be played, and might mean Ovi Music support, or stuff in Silverlight (provided there is Silverlight support). IOW compatibility reasons.

It does not imply you suddenly don't own your device anymore. It merely means Windows Media DRM works out of the box.

Although I do wonder how they're gonna avoid tampering. Because DRM can always be circumvented.

Probably means it has drm mechanisms in place that meet standards for playing that drm file. Not that it would block you from non drm files.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Although I do wonder how they're gonna avoid tampering. Because DRM can always be circumvented.
Absolutely. All you need to do is play it once the 'legit' DRM way, then resample the audio stream to another format. Poof...DRM gone bye bye!

I buy all my digital music from Amazon anyway.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
This just allows DRM files to be played...
It was to be expected. For a while now, Nokia has been saying that Maemo doesn't support DRM "yet".

But it's a pity. There was a chance for Nokia to endorse alternative music models here. If iTunes can successfully sell DRM-free songs, why not Nokia?

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
It was to be expected. For a while now, Nokia has been saying that Maemo doesn't support DRM "yet".

But it's a pity. There was a chance for Nokia to endorse alternative music models here. If iTunes can successfully sell DRM-free songs, why not Nokia?
Yes, agreed, 'yet'.

Although nowhere does it say its only for Ovi Music.

I want DRM and Silverlight (or Mono) on my Maemo device because I want to see broadcasts of e.g. football and olympics while traveling. For the rest, I won't use it.

It does not imply you suddenly don't own your device anymore. It merely means Windows Media DRM works out of the box.
Read this and thought great, but then just read the a comment on the summit blog about an open or closed mode for networks, whatever that is, in Maemo 6?!

Originally Posted by richie View Post
Read this and thought great, but then just read the a comment on the summit blog about an open or closed mode for networks, whatever that is, in Maemo 6?!
Hmmm. Haven't read that. Do you have a reference?

Hmmm. Haven't read that. Do you have a reference?
It was mentioned here,
http://thenokiablog.com/2009/10/10/m...iveblog-day-2/
----
15:43 [Comment From brainimpact]
as maemo 6 as a open and closed mode get ready for a battle with networks who will try get the switch removed in the devices they stock
----

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by richie View Post
The phone companies (if you were asking what "networks" meant in that sentence).

Tags
drm, harmattan, maemo 6, windows