Active Topics

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
You're reinforcing my points (whether you know it or not). Even if Elop wanted to introduce WP7 in the hope of appealling to the USA he shouldn't have killed Symbian and he shouldn't be undermining MeeGo..
I never suggested symbian should have been killed off. I've never supported the move away from Meego. I'm not an apologist for Elop and most certainly not a supporter of WP.
It wasn't Elop but the lazy, monolithic beast that the symbian development group within Nokia that killed symbian off.
Had they pulled their fingers out 4, 3 even 2 years ago and provided the sort of productive up to date releases that have we've seen in the last 12 months, they may have been able to stay competitive.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I didn't question why these companies produced WP7 handsets, just pointed out they struggle to sell them. It's not so much a case of me opening my mind as you engaging yours.
I've never suggested that these companies are selling them by the bucket load either. It's not exactly a secret that NOBODY is doing well with WP handsets. Product/range diversification breeds brand loyalty and I'm surethe likes of Samsung, LG etc will see creep from their WP handsets across to their other offerings.

As for engaging my mind, well it was, but I slipped it back into neutral when you chose to move away from your original assertions wrt "contractual obligation", pointing to other websites that have also printed the same baseless comments without any evidence, you chose to introduce a new argument.

I'm still waiting for actual evidence of this contract, that you and many others have referred to....

I wasn't trying to single you out, so much as highlight how FUD spreads like herpes, and like herpes, once you have it, it sticks around forever.

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
HP gave Apotheker the boot now please could Elop be the next in line!
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

with HP new ceo out

elop its now worst CEO leading a company, congrats!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
HP gave Apotheker the boot now please could Elop be the next in line!
I wanted to hit the THANKS button even more... but it doesn't get any better than this, man.

Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
with HP new ceo out

elop its now worst CEO leading a company, congrats!
Now, hold on! Give Meg Whitman a chance. Every Hewlett-Packard CEO has been crap from Carly Fiorina up to now--why do you expect her to break the record? She wasn't particularly good for eBay toward the end of her job there and she's FRESH off a failed political run for governor. We might just see her end up as yet another in a recent line of terrible HP CEO's ruining the company. Hell--as soon as she came in, people asked her whether she would reverse some of the recent stupid decisions that the last CEO had made (i.e. their small PC's division spin-off and killing WebOS, etc.) and she pointed out that she intends to keep the course. Nice.

Meg might just rival Elop for the TOP FLOP award as CEO of a once-great tech company. Anyway--for now, we'll just have to sit and wait.. and see.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/te...med-at-hp.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meg_Whitman
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-09-23 at 08:00.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Now, hold on! Give Meg Whitman a chance. Every Hewlett-Packard CEO has been crap from Carly Fiorina up to now.
That's just three in a row. Nokia has now two concecutive terribad CEO's. Nokia can still catch up to HP, If they fire Elop quick enough and really put effort in finding clueless replacement.

Or maybe it wouldn't take that much effort. Finding terrible management seems to a Nokia core competence.

EDIT: 1000th post. Yay!

Last edited by Rauha; 2011-09-23 at 08:38.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
That's just three in a row. Nokia has now two concecutive terribad CEO's. Nokia can still catch up to HP, If they fire Elop quick enough and really put effort in finding clueless replacement.

Or maybe it wouldn't take that much effort. Finding terrible management seems to a Nokia core competence.

I clicked THANKS! for your 1000th post.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think the comedic level of the posts here have reached a new height, probably inversely proportional to the depth of despair that we are experiencing.

I almost wish we never get out of this rut
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post

Heh, right!
Nokia could now hire Apotheker to replace Elop

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by myrjola View Post
Heh, right!
Nokia could now hire Apotheker to replace Elop
I'll say this much: Apotheker will have no difficulty finding another highly paid position.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I'll say this much: Apotheker will have no difficulty finding another highly paid position.
With a severance package of $25 million, I doubt if he needs to find another job...
his ex-job as CEO paid him approximately $2 million, It would have taken 12 more years for him to get what he managed to get in a single year....

though it is a different matter that one day our children will laugh at our generation for paying worst performers such giant amounts

Tags
bada rox, bigbadtroll!, ceo firing, fooled again, pissing contest