Hi all,

today trying to use Nokia Maps, I noticed that the GPS does not work anymore.
The A-GPS works well, in fact the device can detect its position within a certain radius (2 km about) but after fails to do the next phase, it don't fix any satellite.
I left it over an hour still under the sky (not covered!) with no result.
Thinking it was a software problem I flashed the phone but did not resolved nothing.

Even with GPSJinny (a program that reads raw data from the GPS device) is the same, namely, A-GPS works, but then under "satellites" there is No satellite detected.

What else can I try to do?
I have to take it to Nokia Point?

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Germany
Is your clock set correctly ?

Yes, I just checked and both time and time zone are correctly setted :/

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Have the same problem, my gps doesn't work either all of a sudden? Was trying to use it on an app for timetables for buses in copenhagen, it pinpoints my location and busstop. It just hangs there searching?

e: I fixed my gps problem by changing this line in the gps settings from: supl.google.com to supl.nokia.com. Now it works fine again

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Last edited by Dousan; 2010-08-08 at 21:58. Reason: fixed my problem...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the tip, but this did not solve my problem ..
The server URL is required for A-GPS, but my A-GPS works great!

Anyway I tried both urls without results ..

Does anyone have other suggestions? : /

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Essentially there are only two valid possibilities after eliminating software as the cause.

1. The GPS antenna assembly is not making contact with the main board properly. Maybe some gunk on the pads, or an alignment problem.

2. The GPS chip is dead.

Number 2 sounds more likely given your description.

The L1 & L2 service manual gives you a good guide on how to actually get at the GPS antenna, L3 & L4 show you what test equipment you can buy from Nokia to figure out how dead the GPS chip is. These manuals can be found on the net in PDF.

Last edited by dchky; 2010-08-09 at 12:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Thanks, that's what I needed!

I decided that I will try to disassemble the phone before taking it to service (if it is just an alignment problem maybe I can fix it).

I have a couple questions about:

1. If I disassemble the phone I lose my warranty?

2. In the L1 & L2 service manual, it says that the screws must not be reused, but I have none other .. whether I use it again is a problem?

3. If the GPS chip is dead, and I'm obliged to bring it in service point, I must pay for repair it?

Thanks for everything!

I have a similar problem, unable suddenly to connect to GPS. Here's the post I wrote a couple of hours ago. Would appreciate any help:

--

I'm having trouble connecting with GPS. Using Ovi Maps, I have been using supl.google.com with no problems until a few days ago. Now, I'm just seeing a box on maps stating "Looking for GPS...". I've tried re-booting, and going back to using supl.nokia.com . That suple.nokia.com entry gives me a coarse location, about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile away. However, I would like to have more accurate GPS location. I would appreciate if you could help me out here. If supl.google.com is still supposed to be working, what could have gone wrong with my using it? I didn't tinker with any other settings. And, as noted, supl.google.com had been working for me until very recently. Did google change something? Is there a different entry I should use? Thanks very much, in advance, for your help.

Hello,

My GPS stopped working too. I changed to supl.nokia.com, and it works now. Thanks Dousan.

BTW, what's up with supl.google.com? Anyone else having the same problem with them?

supl.nokia.com works, but is only giving me a coarse location, about 1/4 - 1/2 mile away. Are you getting a more accurate location?