Active Topics

Has anyone had any experience using the HP iPAQ Bluetooth Foldable Keyboard with the Nokia 770? There's a page for it in the Maemo ApplicationCatalogWip, so I'm pretty sure it's doable. I've heard mixed reviews, but the combination of full-sized keys and a dedicated number key row is tempting me. I might just give it a shot, but I wanted to see if anyone else has already tried it out.

I thought about getting the HP keyboard, and I decided to get the Stowaway, because it supports more than just the HP components (as they say, on their website).

I figure that I might want to connect to something else, like a Mac or a Linux or Nokia, and the HP might not do that, and I would have something that I cannot use.

You have to install the bluetooth driver, because otherwise, you cannot tell the 770 to look for the BT keyboard.

It takes a little figuring out, but got it going. I had to turn off the Razr Bluetooth to get it to see the Stowaway. Then I turned the Razr back on, and it works. Just the first time, it takes a bit to get it to see the Stowaway.

Plus, you have to read the manual to know that you have to do a three-key combination to get the Stowaway to turn on, so that it will pair with the 770.

Last edited by michaelalanjones; 2006-01-02 at 23:31. Reason: More to add

I like the Stowaway's full-size keys, but am turned off by the awkwardness of inputting numbers and symbols coupled with the web browser's inability to correctly interpret the function keys. I'm not concerned with overall size; I'd rather have full-size keys and a fifth row of keys.

I _am_ concerned about the screen blanking after a minute of keyboard-only activity. I am aware of the workaround for the btkeyboard plugin, but am not aware of a similar workaround for the kbdd daemon required for the iPAQ keyboard...

Last edited by gnuite; 2006-01-02 at 21:22.