Just to clarify things, frying PC ports should not be an issue, due to ocervurrent protection implemented in most modern OS'es, be it any linux, windows,mac or whatever. Normal outcome would be N900 charging @ max 500 mA from USB port, or 1A from 2 ports using Y-cable. Worst case scenario should be temporaly disabling on-topic USB port by OS, shouting @ user that peripherial device exceed current limitation drain.

Of course all of this is unless there is some bug in overcurrent protection, that I'm not aware of (which got high chances to be the case), so use at Your own risk.

Thanks for great scripts, shadowjediknight!

Lots of PCs lack adequate overcurrent protection...

I've seen one form where there's common overcurrent protection for several ports, so all ports go dead once protection kicks in.

Worst case is weak protection that works more like a fuse, permanently killing the port (but saving the PC)

The ideal is of course per-port resettable overcurrent protection, which notifies the OS on overcurrent condition.

I have a powered USB hub myself that gives about 700mA to my N900. However, everything else connected to it dims...

Last edited by shadowjk; 2011-05-20 at 23:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
That's exactly what happened to my previous laptop - all of the ports suddenly died, presumably because of a combination of 1 and 2. Not pretty.

Thanks for the info... Fortunately, i got one with smart protection - otherwise i would screw it many years ago, when tried to check max port current with multimeter A measurement (which obviously made overcurrent prot. to go berseker - don't ask, it was one of most stupid ideas i had during my hardware modifications learning phase...). Fortunately, Os just shouted at me to get out with that, and disabled port until driver restart. Really good to know that there are fuse-based solutions still circulating...

By the way, out of curiosity - why everything else connected to that 700 mA port "dims"? Shouldn't peripheral things drain only as much as they need from port current "pool", so they don't care if port can provide 700 mA or 7A?

Last edited by Estel; 2011-05-22 at 00:43.

The charger chip in N900 happily operates at, for example, 4.5V input. The Hub's powersupply was unable to provide sufficient current, so voltage sagged to below 5V.

Looks like changing those values messes up pc suite file browsing + mass storage mode for windows