Active Topics

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Virginia
Hey everyone,

Was very excited to get a N900 yesterday but right out of the box I noticed that I have no mic audio. I know the odds of this being a hardware issue are pretty good since I hadn't mucked with anything but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

On-board mic audio does not work for any application. (Phone, video, voice recorder) I can use the included headset and the phone switches to the headset profile works like a champ. When I say the mic doesn't work I mean there is NO audio present what-so-ever. (No hum, noise or anything. Total silence.)

Fired up alsamixer to take a peek and I do not seem to have a capture device? Insert the headset and then PGA switches to capture and goes to 40.

Any ideas? Also any advice on who I should contact first? Nokia or Amazon. If it turns out to be truly broken I'm sure it's going to be a long wait for a replacement. So much for getting it early.

Brian

Guys,

Received my N900 this morning (finally) but the microphone is not working ie. The other person on the call can not hear me.

Anyone have a similar problem or heard of this problem before ?? searched, but nothing.

To resolve Ive tried the following without any luck:-

- Flashed standalone
- Flashed NSU
- Call recorder software does not pickup anything up
- Phone works with headphones
- Mute / unmute doesnt do anything

Annoyed or what. Any suggestions ? Thanks

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Looks like you aren't the only one

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...270#post391270

Thread merge?

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
This sucks, see there is another user complaining about this in a recent thread.

Mine works, and for comparison, alsamixer shows: Master and Capture (without headphones that is).

That's why I prefer to buy in store: if it doesn't work I just return it immediately and get a new one on the spot.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
Thread merge?
Yep. Done.

Banned | Posts: 537 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
No mic here

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Virginia
dnastase - Thanks for the info. Can you do an alasamixer -c0 then tab over to Capture and tell me if you have a capture device there? (Says capture in red under it)

Thanks for the thread merge - sorry to hear others having the same issue but hopefully that means it's not hardware.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manchester, UK
Its looking like a good few people that got their devices today have had microphone fails.. This is bad new. Maybe Nokia rushed on the production line to get the devices shipped..

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Can't wait for Engadget to pick this up... "It's still not a phone"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 537 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
This sucks what a joke.

Tags
audio, broken, dead, doa, fail, failure, lack of quality control, mic, microphone, n900, n900 recall, no audio