http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10307378-56.html

Dovetails nicely with the new tablets?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SF_N800_Noob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Microsoft Reaches Deal With Nokia on Mobile Version of Office

By NICK WINGFIELD
Microsoft Corp. has reached an agreement with Nokia Corp. to make a mobile version of Microsoft's Office suite of software that works on Nokia cellphones, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The deal with Nokia, the world's biggest maker of mobile phones, could help Microsoft play a broader role in mobile devices while fortifying its Office business in the face of competition from free Web-based word processors, spreadsheets and other applications from Google Inc., Sun Microsystems Inc. and others. Microsoft, too, is testing a Web-based version of Office.

The alliance between Nokia and Microsoft is another sign that the two companies, once fiercest competitors, are coming closer together as other mutual threats have emerged. Microsoft makes an operating system for cellphones called Windows Mobile that competes with Symbian, the software that powers most Nokia phones.
The WSJ article doesn't mention Maemo but that has pro'ly more to do with their ignorance than anything else.

>> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125002993162923941.html

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Oh no, they will not infect our Maemo with closed MS Office and its closed formats.

The Following User Says Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post:
I contacted the writer at Cnet & let her know about the Maemo / rx-51 potential. She wrote back, saying, that I should be able to run Office 2010 on my browser, on the tablet. I'm guessing this might be more feasible under Mer, once it matures to full release status.

But the potential of having access to Office definitely makes tablets a better bargain than ever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of MS.

But for a LOT of people, particularly in Enterprise circumstances, the ability to seamlessly use Office is a big selling point.

The Following User Says Thank You to SF_N800_Noob For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
But why not go the Open Source route and make a mobile version of OpenOffice.org?

I guess that would mean doing it in-house. Instead, MS came to Nokia and made them an offer they couldn't refuse... Development and support taken care of over in Seattle, rather than Helsinki...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
But why not go the Open Source route and make a mobile version of OpenOffice.org?
There have already been pocket versions of word, etc since the early PocketPC days, so it makes sense that they would have something to work with.

I've always thought that OOo was an acronym for BLOAT.

SoftMaker's Office might be a future (but closed) alternative, since they currently support Windows, Pocket PCs, Windows CE, and Linux X86. They had a 2002 version of their word processor that was respectable on the Sharp Zaurus. So if they thought there was a reasonable market they could probably be convinced to jump in.

Edit: Oh well ... Just saw the larger thread in Off-Topic after replying to this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30756

Threads should probably be merged and maybe become General if it looks like maemo is a candidate application for the alliance.

Last edited by mars; 2009-08-12 at 00:56.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I like this. Office 2007 is a main reason why I have problems with using my NIT for a lot of things and carry around a laptop when I'd rather not.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This is a bigger advent than many seem to realize based on response so far...

It's HUGE. Well... potentially.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Oh no.. where else would the opensource purists will go? :P

Tags
microsoft, nokia, office, phones, rx-51