Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
My speeds have been getting worse with time... The phone regularly switches back and forth between edge and 3G. 3G speeds aren't that great for me around San Francisco bay area.
Same here in St. Louis. I only hit 100KB/sec download speed once with my N900 on T-Mobile (my N95 on AT&T could exceed that speed every time). Obviously T-Mobile hasn't upgraded the network here like they've done in other parts of the country.

Maybe it's also related to this bug:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9238

I started getting these speeds at the end of May...3 miles from my house in the Balt/DC corridor.

Nice. Yeah, I think the area around 95 is pretty much 3G covered. It's more the Montgomery County side they need to upgrade. =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I get 3.5g speeds in Fort Worth, TX. Seems kind of spotty though.

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
I get a steady 4Mbit-5Mbits here in houston.

Originally Posted by amorek13 View Post
nope you are not right, i have 10$ dumb phone plan, and 3.5g works fine

It may use 3G or 3.5G on the same plan. But however I believe TMobile throttles the bandwidth based on the plan. I have a grandfathered tzones and it runs on 3.5G but never get anything more than 1Mbps down/1Mbps up.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
Originally Posted by milli View Post
It may use 3G or 3.5G on the same plan. But however I believe TMobile throttles the bandwidth based on the plan. I have a grandfathered tzones and it runs on 3.5G but never get anything more than 1Mbps down/1Mbps up.

i never went down below 100 since tmobile upgraded CT to hspa

Originally Posted by cb00 View Post
I've never actually gotten over 1Mbps for T-Mobile 3G. I'm ok with that though since I only pay 5.99 for T-Zones.

http://www.freemaemohelp.com/forums/.../message/18473
So I also have tmobile usa here in california, so when I log into my account and choose my phone number what pretend phone do I choose for the 5.99 t-zones to work on my n900?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Tmobile does not throttle speeds on granfathered plans. You will get whatever speed the tower that you are connected to is capable of. DO NOT UPGRADE TO A HIGHER PRICED PLAN! You will get the same speeds and pay way more for it. I have the 5.99 Tzones on 5 lines. I have gotten over 7Mbps and I have a video showing speeds over 6Mbps on 3.5G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6DqZC0SZZk

Also, having a 3.5G signal does NOT mean you will get 3.5G speeds. All that means it that you are connected to a 3.5G capable tower. You will not get faster speeds until the backhaul and bandwith of that tower has been fully upgraded. I watched a 3.5G signal on my N900 with less than 1Mbps for 2 Months before Tmo hit the switch and activated the 4G speeds on Atlanta area. The HSPA+ rollout is just an upgrade to the towers. If your N900 displays 3.5G and you dont have 4G speeds yet, be patient, the upgrade is almost finished in your area and you WILL enjoy faster speeds at lower prices.

Dont ever let Tmobile trick you out of your tzones access. It is the same internet as the more expensive plans.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deaconclgi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Andover, Mn, USA
I use the t-mobile shadow unlimited internet plan for $10 and it works fine on the n900. I also bounce from 3g to 3.5g depending on location. This is in Minnesota.