Notices

Poll: would you like to see milkdrop on the N900
Poll Options
would you like to see milkdrop on the N900

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
I would love to see this implimented and developed.
I wish i could code, tho i have played with milkdrop on pc and love it !!!
best i could do was getting ver 2 going on media monkey...

Great idea!

I'd like to show my approval of this as well! Milkdrop is fantastic and would be amazing to see on the N900, would be a first on a mobile I think! Can't recommend it highly enough!

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
we were so close to having it work but .... dead

i was waiting for the day to see milkdrop on a mobile device wow

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
we were so close to having it work but .... dead

i was waiting for the day to see milkdrop on a mobile device wow
After giving it a quick look, as in downloading the source code package for the 1.04 version and looking around a little, I have to say that it looks like quite a lot of work will have to be done.

It's centered around DirectX, uses Windows semantics for data and connects directly to WinAmp.

In what shape would this application be interesting on the N900? Just playing music through PulseAudio takes a lot of CPU and if you use this to show pretty graphics while playing mp3 or vorbis music (Spotify), you lose even more CPU.

Trying to extract the interesting parts, that generate the graphics by looking at the sound data, looks like a nice hack but when it comes to actually using it for something on the N900, I get a bit skeptical. But I do agree on Milkdrop being very nice when it comes to generating music controlled graphics.

Now I've had a more proper look at the source from NullSoft for the 1.04 version and after getting the sound and FFT parts to compile, I stumbled on the great big pile of inline assembler that is responsible for actually making this looks as awesome as it does.

This is a dead end since I'd need to rewrite pretty much everything. Bleh.

I'll have a look at the other version and see what happens.

Thank you Joorin! Us Milkdrop fans certainly appreciate it!

Ok. ProjectM is ambitious and I've had a look at the last 1.x version just to see what it's all about. I've compiled the engine and event-loop parts (on my stationary computer) and had a quick look on the Qt GUI parts. Since I'm a n00b when it comes to building Qt applications, I'm not moving very fast through that.

If this were to ever run on the N900, it'd take some work to get there, for sure. I'm also guessing that it'd need an overclocked device. Since I have no clue about what capabilities are offered by the OpenGLES2.0 that's running on the device, I'll have to investigate a bit more before knowing if this is even sane to pursue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
fingers crossed

I've just compiled and tested my very first OpenGLES2.0 program on the N900 without anything special running in the background. I get 54-55 FPS with one strip that is rendered through one vertex shader with a very simple fragment shader. Which leads me to my real point:

All 3D graphics on the N900, using OpenGLES2.0, is based on shaders. What this means is that every special effect has to be implemented in a special shader language (unless I've completely misunderstood things) and compiled and loaded when the program starts. Unless it's real easy to have several different shader programs at the same time and change between them, this will limit the number of available effects.

My gut feeling is that it might be a bit hard to get something that is like Milkdrop but it might be possible to get something that at least behaves a bit like Milkdrop with FFT and BPM detection and perhaps some interesting patterns that are displayed. Depending on how the effects in projectM are done, there might be a possibility to borrow a little from that and see where it leads.

I have a heavy week of work ahead of me but perhaps I'll get around to doing some prototyping over the weekend. No promises, though.

Tags
milkdrop, music, overclock, pr 1.2, sygic