Active Topics

SHORT: mer ported to any HTC phones?
how is the development to port it to the Touch Pro going?

LONG:
I want a desktop OS but tailored to a mobile unit & phone functionality.
So mer is very appealing to me.
I want this OS become composed to be installed on other devices, not limited to Nokia.

What I had in mind:
Friend has HTC Touch Pro and is always by WinMo.
He wants to sell it when his contract finishes, and gave me a good price.
I want an N900 (great hardware+software x open) but this is also a good substitute, and much more cheaper. I place it on par with N97 (which is expensive) with the differences being in OS, form factor and 32GB internal storage of N97.

So the TP + Mer would be great alternative to getting the N900; not as good but much more cheaper. Btw I live in Australia, so we dont get all tech as fast as other countries, eg iPhone came here about +1 year after launch in USA.

So how is MER coming along?
Has it made significant imrovements to port on TP?
How stable is it?
Convenient on 480x640 screen? etc

I saw the Dev page and it hasn't been updated in 2months. http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Status

I didnt see any mer ROM on xda-devs, only Android. But since the processor in the TP is not so powerful, I don't think android would be responsive enough. Even if it did, I'm not really a fan.

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-04-02 at 13:29. Reason: Gave a short reason for post

Heres a read/info for interested people:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=565480

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=626287

mrdrobnak chat: http://ibot.rikers.org/%23htc-linux/20091016.html.gz

It seems a few expert individuals have actually successfully ported it, but no news from them, and no mention as to optimize the build or package it as ROM for noobs to install/continue development.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
This project is very interesting to me, as clearly some good process has been made. And it looks to be made in a direction I can really dig.

I hope this project is steadily moving on!

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
This project is very interesting to me, as clearly some good process has been made. And it looks to be made in a direction I can really dig.

I hope this project is steadily moving on!
Thanks for being the only one to reply.
But in all seriousness;
how much progress* has been made, from your knowledge?

for those that might be able to answer:
Has "Mdrobnak" and "poly_poly-man" really achieved the port?

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
To my understanding Mer development stopped when Meego was announced because they have similar goals. I haven't been in Mer IRC channel for a while but just checked the IRC logs and they stopped logging three weeks ago so I guess that means that Mer is dead. Mer development was going slowly anyway after N900 started to deliver.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Mer is not dead, per se. What its status is, I'm not the person to explain. Please search the forums for Mer^2

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
Mer is not dead, per se. What its status is, I'm not the person to explain. Please search the forums for Mer^2
Mer^2 sounds like it's targeting N8x0 only so that doesn't really help OP who wanted to run Mer with HTC phone? I'm happy to be wrong though! I'm not really that familiar with Linux, low level development etc. so if anyone involved with Mer development could clarify, that would be nice.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
If you're starting a port to anywhere, I would use MeeGo instead, not Mer.

Mer (code) goes towards N8x0. MeeGo has more long term goals.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Mixu View Post
Mer^2 sounds like it's targeting N8x0 only so that doesn't really help OP who wanted to run Mer with HTC phone? I'm happy to be wrong though! I'm not really that familiar with Linux, low level development etc. so if anyone involved with Mer development could clarify, that would be nice.
Sorry, I carelessly missed the original post due to the link I followed to get here. You're entirely right, but I was answering the "is Mer dead" part.

Also, Stskeeps - I figured you'd pop up... I didn't want to misquote you, and was too lazy/busy to search for your last update, hence my original post. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
If you're starting a port to anywhere, I would use MeeGo instead, not Mer.

Mer (code) goes towards N8x0. MeeGo has more long term goals.
You're totally right.
But MeeGo is still under deveopment.
The released "ROM"s for N900 or other devices is nowhere near final.
This would mean that if you spent alot of time ad effort and finally got the build working, it may not be MeeGo as MeeGo is still under heavy consideration and I remmember them saying somewhere that alot of things could be changed.

However, Mer has been done. AFAIK It's only focussing on N8x0 though. And the Touch Pro or other HTC is slightly old.
So i thought this project would be more feesable.

I hope that MeeGo will actually become a very solid and stable platform and use exisisting Linux technologies, offer wide-range cross-compatability with devices from other genres. Thus bridge the gap between high-powered ARM and low-powered x86 devices. It would be sweet *drools =l~