Posts: 35 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Houston, TX
Doing a full hildon-port of emacs is more work than I can tackle for now but a command-line port/compile may not take a lot of work. Anyone interested?

--Aaron

Last edited by akpoff; 2006-02-24 at 22:26.

Originally Posted by akpoff
Doing a full hildon-port of emacs is more work than I can tackle for now but a command-line port/compile may not take a lot of work. Anyone interested?

--Aaron
I'm an avid Emacs user on all the other platforms that I use, but I can't see how it would help me on the 770 - at least, not without a keyboard, which I don't currently plan to acquire. The thing that makes Emacs so effective is its vast array of extensions combined with the fluency in using it that one accumulates from experience - but that fluency depends I think on a traditional keyboard.

Sorry that this doesn't really help, but that's what I thought when reading your post. I'd be interested to hear if others agree or disagree. - Neil

You're right about the keyboard. I'm thinking for those times when I ssh into the 770 and with my ThinkOutside bt keyboard. That's a big part of the reason I'm not too worried about not having a hildonized version.

Thanks for the feedback!

--Aaron

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Dunedin, New Zealand
Actually, I've been using the debian packages (emacs21-{nox,common,bin-common}_21.4a-3_arm.deb) without any trouble. I even relocated it to /usr/local without having to rebuild the packages. Of course, I wouldn't even think of trying to use emacs with the on-screen keyboard.

One annoying thing, even outside of emacs, is that the maemo xterm uses control-C/V/Q as commands. If anyone knows of an easy way to remedy this, then I'd be most interested. It's really quite silly; if one doesn't have a keyboard, then control keys don't exist and do not function as a short cut. If one does have a keyboard, one probably wants to be able to use the control keys within a terminal window as data (e.g. typing control-C to interrupt a running program, and not to paste the contents of the clipboard).

Lon

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Devon, UK
I have a port of micro-emacs that I use in preference to vi. It uses meta-z rather that ctl-s ctl-c for a simple save exit, so even using the on screen keyboard is easy. I'll post it tomorrow as I'm off to bed now.

Originally Posted by lon
Actually, I've been using the debian packages (emacs21-{nox,common,bin-common}_21.4a-3_arm.deb) without any trouble. I even relocated it to /usr/local without having to rebuild the packages. Of course, I wouldn't even think of trying to use emacs with the on-screen keyboard.

Lon
Sweet! I'll give that a try first.

Well, if anyone fancies trying micro-emacs it's at http://saunby.net/download/nokia770/ No GUI so you'll need xterm.

I've used micro-emacs on a zaurus with the matchbox virtual keyboard under openzaurus/gpe. micro-emacs works fine on the nokia 770 (many thanks for the link ) with a bt or usb keyboard. But is it possible to produce the escape and control keys - essential for emacs - with nokia's version of the virtual keyboard?

Last edited by luminaix; 2006-02-27 at 07:43.

The button with the clockwise arrow on it is the escape key and the left, right, up, down keys work. The xterm menu gives access to ctrl keys. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing for now. Esc Z will save and exit.

Perhaps one day I'll create a window with menu for it. For now you might like to try binding more things to Esc {some letter}.

Originally Posted by akpoff
I'm thinking for those times when I ssh into the 770
You can always edit files and directories on your Nokia with an Emacs running on your PC over the net. I've done some small patches to tramp to allow this. Simply open /root@nokia:/etc/fstab or whatever you lke on your PC. The patches will be included in the next tramp release. Until then, you can get them from me. (Addition: Use tramp from CVS, it's in there.)

Last edited by hczim; 2006-03-02 at 21:45.