Poll: WSOD - Who has had one?
Poll Options
WSOD - Who has had one?

Originally Posted by nosam View Post
Hi, I think actually most people on ITT have never had a WSOD. I am a 770 user, never had a problem. I don't know if there are any good statistics out these, but if the thousands of NIT users out there got the WSOD regularly, I think we would be flooded with posts on it. I only see (20? or 30?) people posting that they have had one
(and sorry to hear it).
I think the average user is more likely to call his store or Nokia ASAP, rather than do any browsing to this particular site (also, bear in mind that a great number dont speak English; it's a Europe-based company.). But you're right, we don't know anything for certain about the real incidence of wsod.

I came here to vote that I didn't have one, but the poll seems to have stopped with pretty low statistics.

Anyway, the population sampled by this poll is certainly not that of all 770 owners.

I had 2 within 2 weeks of each other, fortunately a year later my 3rd is okay. If it didn't have the need of a linux based tablet I would have told Nokia to shove it!

just got my second WSOD in a little less than a year. When I sent my first one in for repair, I said that they need to send one that had the WSOD bug fixed, or to send me a n800 (wishful thinking). Obviously, I'm beginning to believe that all of them are susceptible to the failure. Both of mine happened after a shutdown/restart. I'm going to ask for a refund or n800. I'm not going to settle for anything less. This is unacceptable...especially for a brand like Nokia.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
I had one, happened after a couple of months... Was under warranty and Nokia replaced it for me!

I can't find a way to re-open the poll now it is closed.
I am pleased that most comments have been positive. I guess a few of us have just been unlucky. It is a pity that Nokia could not find a way to identify the affected machines so they could be recalled, although I guess it may have been a quality control issue. Perhaps we will never know.
In the mean time my (2nd) 770 is running strong and is still a very viable little computing platform.

All the best -John

Originally Posted by johnpad View Post
It is a pity that Nokia could not find a way to identify the affected machines so they could be recalled, although I guess it may have been a quality control issue.
LOL, don't believe that for one minute, they didn't have a recall because they didn't want to waste the money. Early and very late built units seem to not have the problem which means its most likely a bad batch of LCD driver chips they got during mid production. Since this would require a PCB replacement to recall and fix the units would eat away at whatever profit margins Nokia got on 770, which is nothing compared to profits they make in sell cell phones. imagine if the same problem happen with their cell phones do you think Nokia would have done nothing? Nokia is not a consumer friendly company and the last thing Nokia is about to do is be...welll...consumer friendly.

Just a quick update. I'm now a N800 owner. I sent in my 770 for repair and it was replaced with a n800 sales pack. Cool thing is I now have two chargers and two BP-5L batteries. From what I've been told, they are out of 770s at the USA repair facility and are now upgrading to n800s for the WSOD problem. If your 770 has a WSOD and is still under waranty...send it in!!!

jjstewart, I hope you are right! My N770 just WSOD'ed last week and and I sent it in to the AL facility. The Nokia repair status just says "Repair in Progress" so far.

I sure wouldn't mind a free upgrade to an N800.

I called after a week of waiting for "Awaiting Replacement Device"...and that's when they informed me that they were giving me a n800 (they also said they just did the same for a guy that called right before me). "Repair in Progress" might be a bad sign. I would call their 1-800 # and have them give you an update.