Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
From what I recall, shoving things into the bottom of the casing is an after-market hardware mod. Especially if you have a model that doesn't have the pci-express card slot (I seem to recall that that's only on certain models?). I'm not interested in having to go to those extremes to be able to do things that, IMO, should be included in the base unit, at least as vendor installed internal modules (ie. USB bluetooth doesn't cut it).

If it had an express card slot (with drivers for EVDO and UMTS cards), bluetooth, and an internal storage option that can take 1.8" HDD and SDD options, then I'd be interested.
Its cheaper than the N810... you can get all that for a little more money =p or check out the coming HP 2133 that has an express card slot

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Yup, I _AM_ eyeing the HP.

Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
because it, like many new machines including the 7" eeeeeeepc, is widescreen. 4x3 is gradually disappearing
/* totally off topic - but hey

wich is sad...
I don't get the wide screen factor frenzy for *Web* browsing.
Why are people wanting to waist so much screen "real estate" when most websites are still not using the full "wide" of it?

Personally I would LOVE to have a Portrait TFT sized monitor - but no-one is making that - I simply don't get why. (and any monitor I tried who can pivot to portrait has a lesser screen quality in portrait mode)

Last edited by polossatik; 2008-03-06 at 02:05.

Oh. My. Lord.

You can run OS 10.4 on this thing?!?

OK. You can run OS 10.4 on this thing with some mods that anyone smart enough to figure out Linux can surely do?!?

Oooooooooh... that's just so neat.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=arxdlBGolTE

The guy's blog goes into step-by-step detail on how to do it, too.

hmm im hoping the 9 inch gets sold in the uk/usa with XP loaded like it was in japan, although i could just install it myself it would be nice to have it bundled. im becomming incredibly lazy in my old age

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Windows (XP or Vista) as a vendor installed option? Sure.

Windows as the only vendor supplied configuration? Absolutely not.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
Its cheaper than the N810... you can get all that for a little more money =p or check out the coming HP 2133 that has an express card slot
Cheaper, yes, but nothing like as portable. I wouldn't want to sit in bed (or on the toilet) reading a book on the eeepc, don't think it would sit on my dashboard quite as neatly, and I couldn't use it for geocaching like I do with my n800 and maemo mapper. That doesn't mean I don't want one now that they're 9", it would make a great kick-around laptop for home browsing/email, but it fills a very different purpose to the n8x0

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
Why are people wanting to waist so much screen "real estate" when most websites are still not using the full "wide" of it?
I don't think it was particularly for browsing, at least not at first. A great feature with widescreen monitors is being able to view 2 pages side-by-side in word (if only I could get open-office to do the same). And as a developer, I love a widescreen monitor; as good for coding as dual monitors, without taking up so much desk space. But that wouldn't stop me having dual-widescreen though

Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
I don't think it was particularly for browsing, at least not at first. A great feature with widescreen monitors is being able to view 2 pages side-by-side in word (if only I could get open-office to do the same). And as a developer, I love a widescreen monitor; as good for coding as dual monitors, without taking up so much desk space. But that wouldn't stop me having dual-widescreen though
It's not just Word documents: with the right Firefox extensions, you can browse two (or even three) webpages side by side; an extremely efficient way of browsing. Or you can view a webpage side by side with a windows that belongs to a tool such a dictionary program or an editor.

So yes, wider screens and more resolution are always good.

Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
/* totally off topic - but hey

wich is sad...

Personally I would LOVE to have a Portrait TFT sized monitor - but no-one is making that - I simply don't get why. (and any monitor I tried who can pivot to portrait has a lesser screen quality in portrait mode)
Less viewing angle, typically, but usually that's not a great concern.

And on-topic, of course, we're talking sufficiently narrow screens that width is not necessarily wasted, and laptops would look funny with portrait screens, but you said off topic, so I understand you're talking exclusively of desktops.

Buy 2? stack 'em! Dual monitor rigs don't have to be wide, ya know.

But I don't really care (for desktops) what aspect ratio; I'll throw my apps around to fit.