Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ California
This doesn't bode well for the N800, since Compusa is the primary US retailer for the N800.

Compusa Closing 100 Stores

Are there any plans to get the N800 into other stores like Circuit City or Best Buy? Buying locally is good for devices like this so you can easily return it.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, USA
This is not good news since I just bought my n800 week ago with an extended warranty from Compusa. Hopefully they are not going out of business.

This is a completely unverified report coming from an "industry insider speaking under conditions of anonymity." Compusa has made no official announcement AFAIK. I daily receive tons of messages trying to influence stock prices. This may be just a more sophisticated version of that sort of stock bumping scheme. Take it with a grain of salt until you hear something more official.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
My friend works for the Corporate Satellite offices in Houston.
He told me the same thing... The above statement is Official.

That doesn't make it official, it just makes it well verified from internal sources. To my knowledge, no company "official" has stepped forward to make such an announcement. They are still probably crafting a carefully worded announcement on how this is designed to increase shareholder value

I live in Bellevue, WA and have a Compusa, Best Buy, Frys, Circuit City and pretty much every office supply store known to man within spitting distance. Simply put, they have a lot of competition who are doing a better job than them. They routinely get beat on price, have poor help who lie as a matter of course (I often play a computer newb just to see what yarns they will tell), a poor return policy and a very strange inventory selection. They waste a lot of precious space by carrying 15 different types of one thing and then almost nothing (or truely nothing) of another type of item. I often find that Computerstop, a mom and pop store a tenth their size is more likely to have what I need. Good riddance, imo.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Funny how the CompUSA store down from my House is getting ready to close....

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
WSJ says 4 stores will be closed.

"All these changes are focused on improving the company's performance, streamlining operations and reducing expenses," said spokeswoman Jessica Nuņez. CompUSA will close stores in California, Texas and Illinois. After the closing, it will have 225 stores, she said.

4 is quite different than 100. I stopped at Compusa today and there did seem to be a bunch of employee's conferring and looking apprehensive, so who knows. Perhaps upper management is weighing two very different courses of action, closing a few underperforming stores now and trying to reform the rest, or closing down a much larger number of stores to cut back to a smaller group of core stores.

Local CompUSA in San Mateo, CA closing (have we counted beyond 4 yet?)

Well at least around me the stores are pathetic and I think I spent more time and countless number of times saying "no thank" to the extended warranty push that I almost walked out of the store without my Nokia. Buying a used car from a shady car dealer is probably less painful then buying anything from CompUSA.