Active Topics

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Heck, I remember using one of the original Macs. Memory: 128K. Resolution: 512x342. Color palette: Monochrome. Overlapping, resizable windows worked just fine.
I still have one*

* well, it's an SE/30 with 80MB RAM but the screen is still the same.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Heck, I remember using one of the original Macs. Memory: 128K. Resolution: 512x342. Color palette: Monochrome. Overlapping, resizable windows worked just fine.
On my Galaxy Pro Tab 8.4 I can make floating resizable windows. But I don't like the way they minimize. My preference would be that minimizing a window puts a marker in notifications so that when you pull it down you can bring the window back up. Ideally if you were, say playing a video or streaming on youtube you would continue to hear the music when the app is minimized. That works for certain apps but not all. Looking forward to seeing what Jolla does.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Seriously though, I would utterly detest overlapping windows in the multitasking view.
Overlapping resizable windows would render the multitasking view pointless.
That was the whole point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Overlapping resizable windows would render the multitasking view pointless.
That was the whole point.
I do not see why. The multitasking view is just the equivalent of the task switcher on a desktop, with the additional ability to use a couple of shortcuts.
They would still be useful, even in case you could have multiple visible windows. And the fact that you can have mutiple overlapping windows does not mean you only have to use them; Most of the time, on a desktop computer, I am looking at a maximized window anyway.

The problem of resizable windows, is that it would be hard to interact with them on a touch screen without wasting a lot of space, but a tiling window manager would be nice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
One thing is good for desktop is not so good for tablets and other touch devices

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
One thing is good for desktop is not so good for tablets and other touch devices
Small-screen touch devices (maybe around < 7" is the limit) require a different paradigm from a traditional computer desktop, but on sizes up from that I certainly would like to have a proper desktop with multiple freely-scalable-freely-positionable applications.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Small-screen touch devices (maybe around < 7" is the limit) require a different paradigm from a traditional computer desktop, but on sizes up from that I certainly would like to have a proper desktop with multiple freely-scalable-freely-positionable applications.
It's hard for me to say where the exact cut off should be. I'm Ok with resizable windows on my Galaxy Note which is 5.7". Sometimes I make a few windows that are just a little smaller then the acutal screen size and then If they are offset a little I can tap the exposed area of the largely covered window to bring it to the front. At times useful when cutting and pasting for example. Also with HDMI can output to larger screen, which can come in handy. When using easy Debian on my N900 I might open a few windows and then that wonderful stylus helps to get around. But, as I have aged, my eyes are too weak for reading microscopic text anymore...

Last edited by mscion; 2015-01-21 at 19:21. Reason: spelling, wording

Unless I really need to show two things side by side, I always maximise everything, and this on a laptop with twice the screen size of the tablet. Most applications are optimised to make use of horizontal and not vertical screen space, so putting them next to one another usually doesn't give very good results, and putting two long strips of horizontal application above one another doesn't really work either. As to overlapping: what's the point in being able to see one unmaximised application and then one or more applications below it that you can only half see?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
On my Sony z3 compact tablet, they've added 'Small apps' which are small floating widgets you can push about the screen such as a calculator or postit. Essentially they're the same idea as Desktop Accessories from the first Mac. They're surprisingly handy.

I'd love to see that kind of thing come to Sailfish. Full desktop style windows... No. If anyone has used an early Mac with a 9" screen you'll realise why everyone used to install Windowshade, run everything fullscreen and make extensive use of task switchers and the app menu. For similar reasons and more I think tablets are best used full screen.

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
As to overlapping: what's the point in being able to see one unmaximised application and then one or more applications below it that you can only half see?
Drag and dropping something (usually an icon representing a file) from one screen (say an open email message) to another screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post:

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet