Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
How can I change the hostname of my device? The n900 way by setting the bluetooth name does not work. I learned that for systemd hostnamectl is used but this binary does not exist...
It should be in /etc/hostname but that file doesn't seem to exist.

Edit: Yes I added /etc/hostname and it worked after reboot.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2013-12-22 at 14:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Does anyone else have issues with the vibrations that the touch keyboard produces? The vibrations are different with every keystroke, some touches don't make the phone vibrate at all. It seems to get better if I type v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y, like I would let the phone recover from the last vibration it had to produce...

It's irritating to a point that a find it better to use the keyboard without any vibration at all. If others have this, too, it might be a software problem. Otherwise, my phone's probably broken.
I did notice this the first couple of hours using the device.
Though it's no problem to me as I have always turned the vibration off on my phones and tablets. More of a annoyance if you are used to touch screen keyboards than anything else imo.
I'm not actually sure has any other of my devices since N9 had vibration for keyboard as a default.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Hi everybody, I received my Jolla a couple of days ago, and I am in general very pleased with the device and the user interface.

Basic functionality is there, and I think I could keep using it as my main phone, if I could use it a a wifi router and/or tether it s a modem. since 3G is my internet connection where I reside for work. As it is, I will use it as my main phone during my vacation, and switch it to my secondary sim when I go back to work.

Other than that, performance is nice, and what is available seem to be well thought out in general. Phone calls, SMS and gtalk chats. email work very well.

Of course I have found a few things that I feel are not as good, or as intuitive, as they should be, I have found a few bugs, or missing features.

In random order, here they are:

* I don't like the font rendering for the icon labels or the very small text. It looks like it has hinting off, and so every once in a whili an 'i' looks like a muddy blob instead of a sharp line.

* some of the imported contacts pictures do not render (they are shown as transparent pictures). I tried importing either from my google account or sending a contact over bluetooth from my N9, the result is the same. Contact without an associated picture show as a text label, but for these contacts the image is just empty, and that is confusing. I think the missing images were just pictures shot with the N900 or the N9 (they have been imported a few times over the years...) so, they are just jpeg images.

* I have not found a way to remove a number from a contact. One of the imported contacts had a phone number that is no longer in use, and I tried to remove it, but could not find out how to do that.

* The Poppy Red other half does not manage to install its ambience.

* The white one did download its own ambience, but since then, every time I replace it, I get back to the "snow white" ambience. I thought it would use the ambience set when it was removed. Is there a way to stop it from changing it? I have disabled the starred ambiences, because I always get the ambience switcher when trying to swipe laterally (too used to the N9, really...) and this means if I change the cover, I have to go back to the gallery and reset the ambience.

* The browser works well for me, but I really wish it had a landscape mode.

* I added a microSD, and copied some music and videos there. Two problems here:
- I expected the videos to appear under the "Multimedia" application. Instead they are in the gallery. I guess the Multimedia is simply "Audio", which is a single medium to me... Maybe it a problem with the Italian locale only.
- The videos are shown in the gallery, but with no title, it is hard to see which is which. In case of episodes, it is useful to see the title or some metadata to select the right one. Probably it would be better to have a third application, just for videos.
- I have loaded a few audiobooks to the SD card, and at least one of them does not play correctly: it starts out right, but then after a minute or so, it starts skipping randomly throu the file, and the following file starts playing, If I skip on my own the initial part of the file, it looks like it starts playing fine.

As I said previously, I can live with these problems for the time being, and I suppose alternative applications will show up that are better suited to my needs (e.g. audiobook tuned audio player or standalone video player). And of course, Jolla will have its own updates.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Athens, GR
How can we install an app with .rpm extension? there are a couple in operepos.net, i downloaded them but when trying to open them from transfers window or file manager, nothing happens..

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gsalone View Post
How can we install an app with .rpm extension? there are a couple in operepos.net, i downloaded them but when trying to open them from transfers window or file manager, nothing happens..
I would go into CLI, locate the .rpm package and type:

pkcon install-local your-package-name.rpm

Last edited by cloudbuster; 2013-12-22 at 16:15. Reason: edited a typo

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
I have been trying to use my Jolla for several days as a main phone. I am constantly comparing it to my N9. Below is very brief summary of my first impressions:
positives
----------------------------------
+ nice build quality
+ great call/voice quality
+ UI general idea is very good and I see great potential in its development.
+ browser experience is surprisingly good. I compare with N9 here, which was OK-eish.

negatives
------------------------
- !TERRIBLE! battery life. I am a light user, but phone barely lasts a day(24h), where N9 was easily doing 60 hours.
- lacking landscape mode UI wide and in the basic apps, especially where text input is required(e.g. email, notes etc.)
- lacking BASIC functionality like: IMAP push and adding ANY file as attachment in mail client, WPA Enterprise, MS Exchange contacts search.
- screen is a step back back from N9's AMOLED, fonts look unattractive and jagged, there is no LPS.

There many, many, many other areas where big and small improvements, refinements and functions are required, but they can be addressed gradually by Jolla team. But the above negatives I mentioned nearly render the phone unusable as a main device, especially the battery life. They need to be solved as of tomorrow
I don't have BIG problem with lack of native application,as I only use several(Twitter, 4suare) and I am sure they will come soon to Jolla platform. I totally uninstalled Android compatibility after trying it for a day - not useful to me except may be for some games, but with this abysmal battery life, there is no point in this.
So to conclude: N9 feels to me like a piece of art, with all the care to detail put in it, with the smoothness and premium feel. Where Jolla is unpolished and rough around the edges, and still I am not 100% sure is it a shiny diamond lurking under the pile of lacking areas and features, or just some piece of simple glass.

Question: what is the easiest way to send mail after composing it? There is no "send" button on VKB(and there IS when composing SMS), so I have to go top of composed mail, then engage pulley menu and select "send", which seem cumbersome tome. In matter of fact I think the pulley menu should be made visible everywhere, not only on top and bottom of lists.

Last edited by zlatko; 2013-12-22 at 16:30.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Athens, GR
Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
I would go into CLI, locate the .rpm package and type:

pkcon install-local your-package-name.rpm
Yes, so i thought too.
But hitting this command gives me following:

Code:
Transactions:
[none]
daemon connected=1
network status=online
and then nothing else.. this command never gets completed and terminal stays like that for loong time.. same happens when i login to full basj with devel-su.

Last edited by gsalone; 2013-12-22 at 16:38.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Since people post their own Jolla experiences, I'll add mine.

Pros:
- Large but surprisingly thin and lightweight, I'd have expected it to feel bigger after Lumia 820.

Cons:
- Despite feeling thin and svelte, I can not use it one handed (I've got small hands).
- Physically the volume rocker button is too much of a rocker, it's actually somewhat loose. If I shake the phone, the button actually rattles.
- Screen and camera could be better, can not read ampparit.com without zooming in.
- Calendar is totally totally unusable. Come on, just a month grid and a crappy list view? For Lumia I could at least get a third party week view. But what's to be said when the bottom row quick icons don't even include the calendar. Calendaring just does not seem important to Jolla people.
- Haven't used the email client a lot, but it does not know how to sort mailbox directories, they are in the list in random order.
- I haven't been able to use the ambiance switching at all. Swiping left or right from the standby screen does not bring up anything?
- The browser is very odd, I actually had to read the effing manual to understand how to input an URL. Not cool.
- Cannot copy paste text, such as phone numbers from a web page.

UIwise there is still some work to do:
- Too faint visual cues to tell that there are other options hidden behind the pulley menu. It took me ages to find out where the "update phone" functionality was hidden.
- Some input screens require one to hit "Save" function (like setting up the Exchange parameters). Some input functions don't require save (like inputing an email .signature). And why is the action button (like "Save" or "Create") in the upper right, when all the information I need to input goes from top to bottom. The action button should be the last item!

In the end, this does not work as a business phone, just a hobby device. Not that I expected it to, really. In the past I had a N900 as a secondary hobby phone so this will probably be in the same position.

Last edited by LadyBug; 2013-12-22 at 17:27.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LadyBug For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by LadyBug View Post
- I haven't been able to use the ambiance switching at all. Swiping left or right from the standby screen does not bring up anything?
You have to create "favourite" ambiances(there is star you have to click in Gallery=>Ambiances) in order to use them with swipe left or right from lock screen.

PS. And thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is nearly same as mine.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Is there any way to automatically start several programs after phone reboot? I like when I have 6-7 covers opened all the time and interacting with them from the covers screen. It is just so annoing to start all of them after reboot...

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience