Originally Posted by Cue View Post
wait a minute... so the N9 doesn't have 1700 pentaband or have gsmarena made a mistake?
Gsmaren has made a mistake. The other mistake is not to shade the OS for N9 green.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Been using the phone for the evening, got a micro-SIM set up, and am generally really happy. Just to rattle off a few thoughts, having come from the n900:

What I think is better than the n900:
- The camera. It's like the n900 camera but even better. I love it. The flash can be awfully bright, though - it needs a power setting. Video recording is, by far, so much better than on the n900.
- The mail software. It's the n900's but with a pretty new skin and awesome HTML mail rendering. If you liked the n900's one, you'll like this one.
- The touchscreen. It feels a lot more sensitive (in a good way), it's easier to click links in the web browser, and it just seems better all-around.
- Speed. It's so fast, even if the UI has brief hiccups here or there, you can get around so much faster than on the n900. Built-in basic applications like the image gallery benefit greatly from this.
- The Ovi Store. Way more thought out than on the n900, much more pleasant than the Apple App Store. Not that I'm an 'app store' kind of person (more of an apt-get store type), but it feels pretty slick.
- Ovi Syncing. My old SIM card had some strange formatting applied to it, so all my contacts' names got screwed up. Changing them on the phone would have been a drag... 'ovi sync contacts, what's this?' Click the switch, I pipe my contacts to a javascript-UI website Nokia provides, and I've got a pretty decent GUI (and a hardware keyboard on my home PC!) to quickly fix up my ~100 contacts' names. Awesome!
- Pentaband! I haven't experienced 3G on my own smartphone ever, as I'm an AT&T customer and was relegated to 2G on the n900. I love the network speed.

What I think is about the same or just a side-step:
- The screen. It's beautiful, it's bright, but it definitely looks more jagged than the n900 when viewing, for example, a pure white screen like the background of a website. The nature of them thar 'pentile' screens? I'm not sure. Text and other detailed things look better, but big blocks of solid color don't seem as crisp (the inside looks like it's coming through a grille).
- Messaging/contacts. It's the same as the n900, which I happen to like.
- Battery life. I know I've heard some mixed reports, but it seems to drain the battery at the same speed my n900 did. That's good by me.

What I really miss about my n900:
- The keyboard. Duh. The VKB is great, best I've used (and I've used some recent Androids and an iPhone's), with a very nice-feeling haptic feedback, but, as I'm sure we're all aware, nothing compared to a hardware keyboard. The terminal app in horizontal orientation is sad with the VKB up there.
- Task switching. Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought n900's task switching was better. I'll see how I like it when I play with it more, but on the n900, I never had to remember which homescreen I was on to access the other open apps. Just tapping the little icon in the top left felt more natural than swiping around. We'll see how it stands the test of time. I guess I should try just opening every app I'd ever want to use and staying on the task switching homescreen as much as possible.
- Dedicated camera button AND sliding the camera cover to automatically launch the camera application. Still the fastest way to get to the camera, and I miss it.
- Curved edges on the case + workable landscape mode by default. The top/bottom corners of the n9 are sharp! Holding it in portrait mode is nice when you're trying to operate it with one hand, but it gets uncomfortable after a bit.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Pebby For This Useful Post:
i dont think the Lumia 800 has the pentaband...

btw, for those who wants to buy at Negri...use this coupon code:

sb35offjkh

you get instant $35 off.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to asianmoomoo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pedroesteban View Post
Does the glossy finish get scratches and marks easily?
I don't have the final hardware, so I can't comment on it (some issues had to be fixed to make the white casing work reliably, so it may not be quite the same material).

Of course you will be able to damage any plastic material if you drop it hard enough, at least this prototype has gone through some rough times (including forceful contact with a stone floor) and the overall appearance is still perfectly white and glossy.

If you treat the device with the little bit of care that such a luxury item deserves, I am sure that you will be fine. And for the more cautious, or rough situations, there is always the protective cover, which I heard is quite nice too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
God damn that white N9 is nice looking. Paid way too much for my 64GB black to sell it just to change the color..... or could i. [/IMG]
I give you 450€ for your old black 64GB N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Peter Skillman talks about the design of the N9 to engadget @ Nokia World http://pulkitarora.in/nokias-peter-s...alks-design-n9

Some interesting comments "It is, to some extent after February 11th, a concept car" -- No kidding. I bet Peter is not entirely happy about the fate of the N9.

edit: btw, Peter Skillman seems like a really cool guy
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2011-10-27 at 10:14.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2011/10/27...fragmentation/

Will people stop complaining about Nokia's lack of support now?

BTW, dead OS my @ss!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pedroesteban For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pedroesteban View Post
http://www.techcrunch.com/2011/10/27...fragmentation/

Will people stop complaining about Nokia's lack of support now?

BTW, dead OS my @ss!
Dead Oh-@ss?

anybody is gonna buy my n9 64gb when I buy the white version?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post
Peter Skillman talks about the design of the N9 to engadget @ Nokia World http://pulkitarora.in/nokias-peter-s...alks-design-n9

Some interesting comments "It is, to some extent after February 11th, a concept car" -- No kidding. I bet Peter is not entirely happy about the fate of the N9.

edit: btw, Peter Skillman seems like a really cool guy
No worries. After gauging the two WP7 phones Nokia released yesterday I am certain Nokia will not be able survive with an only WP7 strategy. They will sell but not in quantities big enough to save Nokia. In another 2 quarters I expect Elop to be sacked and Nokia to make a U-turn on Meego to pursue a multi-platform strategy. N9 production will be ramped up and sold in every country.

Trust me. If Nokia doesn't want to end up in a hole in the ground it will have to change course. Nokia is a huge corporation and there is no way it can survive selling those crummy WP7 phones.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????