Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
GeneralAntilles's Avatar
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,215 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
#11
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I disagree GA.
As well you might, considering it was your idea to implement this.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
We've all seen how Canola has improved because of the involvement of the end-users. We want to encourage the same type of life cycle. Maemo.org's Download section tend to just list apps and Maemo.org members (who are top tech junkies) tend to just rate the app, and that's it.
I don't disagree that Downloads isn't a particularly good place for active discussion, but creating what's basically another completely separate Downloads/Garage system just succeeds in causing a lot of problems for developers and end-users alike. Rather than working towards a one-stop-shop for everything, we've instead doubled the workload and halved the participation in each.

I'd also disagree with "top tech junkies" assessment of Downloads, a large number of people on there are nothing of the sort. Where does the official Nokia OS2008 page link (the one that's linked to from the desktop of every new tablet shipped)?

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
We also want to promote the developers' apps here at itT too, plus more. What's wrong with that?
FRAGMENTATION. We've got enough of it already, we don't need more. Look at the Zaurus community for why it's a bad thing. It's more of the repository mess at a different level. Promoting applications isn't bad, but creating two completely separate places for users and developers to go to is.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I hope you just don't shoot down an idea mainly because you haven't seen it working.
I'm shooting down the idea because it's a poorly considered one that was brought about with zero community discussion and no collaboration with maemo.org.

What should've happened (and should still happen, if nobody's too set on this particular idea) is somebody should've discussed this with the guys over at maemo.org (X-Fade in particular) and set up a syndication system so that the power of both Downloads/Garage and itT could be utilized to their fullest extent. Downloads and Garage for hosting, development and a centralized location for applications, and itT for discussion and lots of fun end-user interaction.

Hopefully you'll consider rectifying this.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
yerga's Avatar
Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,009 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
#12
About have threads for discussing software, reporting bugs, etc, IMHO is a good idea.

The problem I see is people adding software to ITT but not to maemo.org/downloads.
Maemo.org/downloads would be useless because people would go always to ITT to search software.

It would be cool and very useful a way for sync ITT Downloads and maemo.org/downloads. If people add software in ITT send it to maemo.org and if people add software in maemo.org have a thread where discussing this software in ITT.
I think maemo.org/downloads have an API or soon will have(I am not sure, probably X-Fade could comment this).
__________________
Daniel Martín Yerga
maemo.org profile
Twitter
 

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
andrewfblack's Avatar
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
#13
GA you said Reggie wasn't working on a one-stop-shop I feel he is because you can discuss your software here and end users can find it by just going to the download section. Even the stuff not lised on maemo.org or garage. To me it seems more like a one-stop-shop.
 
anidel's Avatar
Posts: 1,736 | Thanked: 1,216 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
#14
I understand what's GA worrying about, and I do worry about it too.
Developers will upload to Maemo, others to Garage, others to their own repo, other here.
This is fragmentation.
As said, the best for ITT would be what's it already is: a forum -> discussion.
As such I would remove the "upload" section and 'only' provide what's missing: a link between the application's place and the forum.

But that's what 'I' would do
 

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
GeneralAntilles's Avatar
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,215 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
#15
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
GA you said Reggie wasn't working on a one-stop-shop I feel he is because you can discuss your software here and end users can find it by just going to the download section. Even the stuff not lised on maemo.org or garage. To me it seems more like a one-stop-shop.
You didn't understand my point. Maemo.org is (or should be, depending on perspective) the one-stop-shop. Not some random web forum. Trying to pull stuff away from there hurts everybody.
 
joepagiii's Avatar
Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
#16
well whay cant itt have say a pre meamo.org release type thing....a place to iron out the wrinkles then after a time put it on meamo with good documentation for the newer types
__________________
no longer here...leave me a pm......meeep....
 
andrewfblack's Avatar
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
#17
But he isn't pulling anything away from there all you have to do is upload you software there and then if you want you can post it here by either uploading it again or linking to your maemo.org download, or garage download or your personal site download.
 
anidel's Avatar
Posts: 1,736 | Thanked: 1,216 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
#18
Originally Posted by joepagiii View Post
well whay cant itt have say a pre meamo.org release type thing....a place to iron out the wrinkles then after a time put it on meamo with good documentation for the newer types
That's more what Garage on maemo is for.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
joepagiii's Avatar
Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
#19
thus the term garage...i get that....im tryin to add other good reasons in reggies favor...but i do see the reason ga is worried about fragmentation....however ya ever hear of too many eggs one basket i know some of ya guys are thinking this guys an idjitt...but try not to look at the fragmentation issue to hard...everything fragments ...no matter what or how well put together it is
__________________
no longer here...leave me a pm......meeep....
 
benny1967's Avatar
Posts: 3,766 | Thanked: 5,552 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
#20
Mhm... I'm not happy with this. I don't think it's right to have even more fragmentation and, yes, as GA said, maemo.org ist the place to go for downloads. we need a one stop shop, and it must be there, not here (for more reasons than i want to write down now).

OTOH, this is the web. everybody can try out new ideas. who knows? it could still be a success and a benefit for the community.
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:43.