Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Dec 2016
#71
Are there also plans to add a POI search? like listing all POIs of a particular kind in around an address?

Another question: Is it planned to add a feature that allows to click on POI icons shown on the map and view details of it?
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
otsaloma's Avatar
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 1,150 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
#72
Originally Posted by bomo View Post
Are there also plans to add a POI search? like listing all POIs of a particular kind in around an address?

Another question: Is it planned to add a feature that allows to click on POI icons shown on the map and view details of it?
"POI search" already exists. It's called "Nearby venues". You can access it from the main menu or a search result bubble on the map.

The maps are raster maps, so, no you can't interact with any POI icons there. What you can do is a nearby search and from the search result list, choose "Show all" from the pulldown menu. After that you'll have a bunch of blue circles on the map that are clicable. The Foursquare provider gives some details of places, others only the name.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
otsaloma's Avatar
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 1,150 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
#73
Version 0.32 available at OpenRepos.
  • Add support for rerouting (#26, rinigus)
  • Redesign navigation status and narrative pages
  • Add OSM Scout car day and night maps (rinigus)
  • Allow searching by latitude/longitude coordinates, e.g. "60.169 24.941" or "60.169,24.941" (period as decimal, any non-alphanumeric separator between latitude and longitude)
  • Fix auto-centering in landscape in navigation mode to not have the position icon overlap with the menu button (#46)
  • Do relative requests to download tiles, fixes HSL map
  • Fix string escaping in Python calls from QML (#50, rinigus)
  • Add Russian translation
  • Update translations

Thanks to rinigus we now have support for automatic rerouting. This works best with the Valhalla routers (Mapzen Turn-by-Turn and OSM Scout) as they will account for the heading and avoid suggesting immediate U-turns.

Translations that were broken in the earlier early access Sailfish OS 2.1.1.x work again with 2.1.1.26.
 

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Dec 2016
#74
Thanks a lot! I today tried the automatic rerouting functionality and it's working fine. May I ask whether it is possible to add an option to adjust the details of when it starts the rerouting ? Would it also be possible to add a 'lock on streets' functionality if I select car navigation ? Or is that not possible due to the maps/tiles ?
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 313 | Thanked: 1,374 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
#75
Originally Posted by bomo View Post
Thanks a lot! I today tried the automatic rerouting functionality and it's working fine. May I ask whether it is possible to add an option to adjust the details of when it starts the rerouting ? Would it also be possible to add a 'lock on streets' functionality if I select car navigation ? Or is that not possible due to the maps/tiles ?
@bomo, maybe you could be a bit more specific:

* Re rerouting details: which details do you want to adjust? In general, its all expected to be working out of the box, without any adjustments needed. To know the internal parameters - which router did you use in Poor Maps (Mapzen, OSM Scout, ...)?

* Re lock on streets: I presume you mean something like shown as a map matching service at https://mapzen.com/blog/map-matching/? Its possible to implement it, would need some time though. The router behind Mapzen and OSM Scout (Valhalla) does support map matching and we could implement it for online and offline navigation. "Just" have to expose functionality, connect it to Poor Maps, and allow users to enable/disable it.

I wonder whether you have terrible GPS signal and rerouting is triggered too frequently?
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Dec 2016
#76
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
@bomo, maybe you could be a bit more specific:

* Re rerouting details: which details do you want to adjust? In general, its all expected to be working out of the box, without any adjustments needed. To know the internal parameters - which router did you use in Poor Maps (Mapzen, OSM Scout, ...)?

* Re lock on streets: I presume you mean something like shown as a map matching service at https://mapzen.com/blog/map-matching/? Its possible to implement it, would need some time though. The router behind Mapzen and OSM Scout (Valhalla) does support map matching and we could implement it for online and offline navigation. "Just" have to expose functionality, connect it to Poor Maps, and allow users to enable/disable it.

I wonder whether you have terrible GPS signal and rerouting is triggered too frequently?
Thanks for your reply.

@1: I was mainly thinking of the deviation parameter (start rerouting after x meters deviation from route). I was using poor maps with Mapzen navigation. So basically, I also had the impression the rerouting was triggered too late.

@2: Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Sounds great!

Another question: Currently, in the navigation mode, the map is rotated according to my orientation (which is perfect), but the street names on the map etc. are not rotated. Is there also a possibility to change this?
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
otsaloma's Avatar
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 1,150 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
#77
The rerouting trigger is currently 200 meters (plus positioning accuracy), polled every three seconds. 200 meters is about a block and a half in a common city center, or way less than motorway exit spacing. So, how many blocks late do you see rerouting happening? What's your positioning accuracy (see bottom of the screen, below the speed)? You're not expecting to catch the very next turn, are you? Do you have experience with Google/Apple/HERE maps, what's the trigger there? I don't want to add an option, there should be no need for such, but we'll of course change the default if it's bad.

Originally Posted by bomo View Post
Another question: Currently, in the navigation mode, the map is rotated according to my orientation (which is perfect), but the street names on the map etc. are not rotated. Is there also a possibility to change this?
No, not with raster maps, and it's too early to talk about vector maps.
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Dec 2016
#78
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
The rerouting trigger is currently 200 meters (plus positioning accuracy), polled every three seconds. 200 meters is about a block and a half in a common city center, or way less than motorway exit spacing. So, how many blocks late do you see rerouting happening? What's your positioning accuracy (see bottom of the screen, below the speed)? You're not expecting to catch the very next turn, are you? Do you have experience with Google/Apple/HERE maps, what's the trigger there? I don't want to add an option, there should be no need for such, but we'll of course change the default if it's bad.
Thanks for the clarification. I need to check again the accuracy etc. I also try to make a screenshot next time.

I dont know about google etc, but osmand seems to use 100m limit.
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 313 | Thanked: 1,374 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
#79
Originally Posted by bomo View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I need to check again the accuracy etc. I also try to make a screenshot next time.

I dont know about google etc, but osmand seems to use 100m limit.
I guess we should try 100 meters and see if its OK.

Note that rerouting distance is a compromise. When you use offline router (like OSM Scout), you are using your own device and the main price to pay is the battery. When you use online router, all API calls by all users are summed up by the provider and if we exceed the free tier we would have to find the way to pay for it. Hence having too small rerouting distance with online routers could lead to problems. @otsaloma has a better overview and he'll let us know if we are going to hit it, I presume.

As for map matching, I added it into OSM Scout Server issues and will look into it when I get there.

Rotating labels are possible, in theory, using tiles as well. For Mapnik, it would mean composing other projection that would flip the world. However, it would require significant time to do that properly. As mentioned by @otsaloma, an alternative is to look into vector maps. In long term, vector maps (OpenGL-based rendering) are better solution and I probably would prefer to look into that than spend too much time on hacking Mapnik projections.
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
otsaloma's Avatar
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 1,150 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
#80
100 meters is possible, yes. But, I'd still like some verification that it is indeed the 200 meters part at fault, so that we'd be fixing the right thing.

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Note that rerouting distance is a compromise. When you use offline router (like OSM Scout), you are using your own device and the main price to pay is the battery. When you use online router, all API calls by all users are summed up by the provider and if we exceed the free tier we would have to find the way to pay for it. Hence having too small rerouting distance with online routers could lead to problems. @otsaloma has a better overview and he'll let us know if we are going to hit it, I presume.
Mapzen's pricing is very reasonable and once past the free plan the prices are per request, so there's no big step like Mapbox's $500/month. So, no need to worry about my cash flow. But, it is of course possible for some users to have high data traffic costs, maybe abroad especially.

Besides cost, two other reasons come to mind for not making rerouting too sensitive: (1) I don't know if the positioning accuracy is always guaranteed to be correct and in sync -- e.g. what if when entering a tunnel your positioning throws quickly while the accuracy lags? And, (2) there are normal small deviations, such as lane choice on big motorways or intersections, or detours around road works, which can be maybe up to 50 meters.

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Rotating labels are possible, in theory, using tiles as well. For Mapnik, it would mean composing other projection that would flip the world. However, it would require significant time to do that properly. As mentioned by @otsaloma, an alternative is to look into vector maps. In long term, vector maps (OpenGL-based rendering) are better solution and I probably would prefer to look into that than spend too much time on hacking Mapnik projections.
With a custom tileserver and custom requests that include the heading, yes, it could be done. But, then you'd have a cache invalidation problem and would need to regenerate a lot of tiles as the heading changes. Doable, yes, but indeed more trouble than it's worth.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:13.