Notices

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Northern DFW
I guess I missed this thread because I've been really looking for bluetooth NAP, but glad I found it today.
For clarification, do the kernel/modules/iptables binary in the mobilehotspot project provide working NAT? And you're just waiting on UI stuff?
If so, they'll save me a ton of time getting NAP up and I'd be happy to put together a semi-user-friendly shell script or something for use with wifi. I'm not capable of anything pretty and gui, but at least it might help people unfamiliar with the shell.

Originally Posted by jiiv View Post
I guess I missed this thread because I've been really looking for bluetooth NAP, but glad I found it today.
For clarification, do the kernel/modules/iptables binary in the mobilehotspot project provide working NAT?
They should, however I had some problems (possibly related to the fact that I do most of my hacking related to this project in a train, the only "free" time ATM)

To be more specific, iptable_nat and its dependencies insert to the kernel fine, iptables binary can be used to manipulate the ip_tables in kernel. iwconfig (apt-get install wireless-tools) can be used to setup ad-hoc network to which my laptop can connect but for some reason I could not even ping my N900 (much less connect to the openssh running on it or route data to internet and back)

EDIT: See the hotspot_backend.py that will be the script the UI will call (one needs sudo anyway to execute these commands and the UI will not run as root...) also see plan.txt for some of my first ideas on how things should work.

Last edited by rambo; 2009-12-22 at 08:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Seattle - neopwn.com
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
Starting with nf_conntrack which is requirement for just about everything having to do with routing and ending with iptable_nat (the dependency chain has a few other modules in between as well)
FWIW, I've built a custom kernel zImage and all of the iptables modules and they work on the N900. Caveat being you need to copy the modules to your phone, replace the old modules folder with the new one, and then flash your phone with the new kernel.

If anyone here needs these modules and zImage, post here and I'll gzip them for download on my server, along with instructions.

The Following User Says Thank You to neopwn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by neopwn View Post
If anyone here needs these modules and zImage, post here and I'll gzip them for download on my server, along with instructions.
See the mobilehotspot garage project SCM for kernel and modules (if I have time during the holidays I'm going to make a package that can flash the kernel in-device, without the need for manually flashing over USB)

EDIT: typo fix

Last edited by rambo; 2009-12-22 at 20:40.

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
Various modules in that directory work, but the NAT ones don't for the same reasons rambo ran into.

You can see the various tests here:
http://www.freemoe.org/users/jebba/k...probe-test.log

I have built a number of kernels for this device already. At some point I will be making a fatter kernel with lots of various modules built into it that are missing from the stock kernel.

Thanks for pinging me about this thread,

-Jeff
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Jebba
Thanks for all your work on the n900 kernel. Is it possible to use an updated kernel? I tried compiling a stock 2.6.32 linux kernel according to the rx51_defconfig, but it doesnt boot even after copying the modules to /lib/modules/2.6.32-omap1, changing the /lib/modules/current, and flashing the newer kernel.

Any tips on the overall process would be great.

Thanks

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Hrm...when I try to use the zImage from mobilehotspot I'm getting the following error: (using flasher-3.5 -f -k zImage -R)
Originally Posted by flasher-3.5
Bootloader error log follows:
ERROR: Image kernel won't fit in partition
ERROR: Error processing request, stalling
ERROR: EP0 STALL sent
ERROR: Premature end of control transfer
edit: Just installed Jebba's kernel & modules; looks like there's no conntrack/masquerade/etc in there either. Guess I'll go ahead and break out scratchbox.

Last edited by jiiv; 2009-12-24 at 06:55.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Originally Posted by bdogg64 View Post
Thanks for all your work on the n900 kernel. Is it possible to use an updated kernel? I tried compiling a stock 2.6.32 linux kernel according to the rx51_defconfig, but it doesnt boot even after copying the modules to /lib/modules/2.6.32-omap1, changing the /lib/modules/current, and flashing the newer kernel.

Any tips on the overall process would be great.

Thanks
I would recommend starting with the linux-omap kernel tree instead of linux vanilla.

Code:
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git
Then to extract the linux-2.6.32-omap1 release, run:

Code:
git archive --format=tar --prefix=linux-2.6.32-omap1/ v2.6.32-omap1 | gzip > ../linux-2.6.32-omap1.tar.gz
Then you can build with linux-2.6.32-omap1. Note the rx51_defconfig in there seems to be missing quite a bit. I tried it with the rx51_defconfing from linux-2.6.28-omap1, but didn't get it to build.

You can also try with the latest git of linux-omap, but note on the version I tried things went really bad and I had to yank the battery. I thought I had fried my device, but I didn't thankfully. Lots has changed in the git tree since I tried. You can read about that adventure here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36445

To make that tarball, I ran:
Code:
git archive --format=tar --prefix=linux-omap-6833f1a8/ HEAD | gzip > ../linux-omap-6833f1a8.tar.gz
Where the 6833f1a8 is the beginning of the git commit I used.

You can see my live /scratchbox mess here, feel free to grab anything from there, of course. Buyer beware:
http://www.freemoe.org/users/jebba/scratchbox/kernel/

Note, lots is left out of the upstream kernel trees (one example being things like the camera button). I don't know how much slave labour would be needed to port those drivers forward.

Have fun,

-Jeff

The Following User Says Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Hrm...when I try to use the zImage from mobilehotspot I'm getting the following error: (using flasher-3.5 -f -k zImage -R)

edit: Just installed Jebba's kernel & modules; looks like there's no conntrack/masquerade/etc in there either. Guess I'll go ahead and break out scratchbox.

Correct, I don't have NAT and such in there. Post-holidays I'll whip up a kernel with lots of goodies.

Also: if you need to use a /scratchbox I can set you up an account on my build server located at netdepot.com. If you want it, mail me at moe@blagblagblag.org

-Jeff
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Jebba

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
Thanks Jebba.
I played around a bit last night and compiled a bootable kernel, but the n900 didn't see my SIM card on it. I think what I'll do for the moment is go ahead and grab the .config from your setup and modify from there; I didn't play around with it much but it did seem to see all of the hardware.
Thanks to everyone here for all the hard work.

Thanks Jebba.
I played around a bit last night and compiled a bootable kernel, but the n900 didn't see my SIM card on it. I think what I'll do for the moment is go ahead and grab the .config from your setup and modify from there; I didn't play around with it much but it did seem to see all of the hardware.
Thanks to everyone here for all the hard work.
Was that a 2.6.32 or git kernel of some sort? If so, could you put your .config somewhere and give us a few details?

Thanks,

-Jeff