Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Hey,

I was wondering what the highlights have been for long term maemo users over the years.
What drew you to the platform, what keeps you here.
What do you remember and think should be expanded upon.

I just thought of this based on gazza_d's sig:

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010

I think the thousands of apps we have and teamwork seen around stands out above all else.
I have seen groundbreaking development and intense optimisation put in place to allow people to run almost anything they want!
watching the maemo planet and seeing new things emerge is coolness beyond!

please keep this thread light, this is for positive contributions for people to recognise what works around here!

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
For me the highlights were for example the maemo summits.
Also in the more recent past the coding competition.
Basically everything where the community comes together and build something great.
I like it also if the community meets in "real life".
Because of that I'm organizing the mobile freidae here in Berlin.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-09-15 at 20:05.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 429 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dubai
because of the maemo community i raised an unstoppable passion to linux and the world of programming
which made me apply to computer engineering instead of dentistry
all thanks to the wonderful world of maemo and the amazing N900

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to bakuur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bakuur View Post
because of the maemo community i raised an unstoppable passion to linux and the world of programming
all thanks to the wonderful world of maemo and the amazing N900
It couldn't possibly have had anything to do with not wanting to stare into the disgusting mouths of people all day long?

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
It couldn't possibly have had anything to do with not wanting to stare into the disgusting mouths of people all day long?
i honestly didnt understand what you are referring to

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
i honestly didnt understand what you are referring to
Abandoned plans for dentistry.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
There have been several highlights in five great years of Maemo!

The first one being Nokia coming to GUADEC in May 2005 presenting the 770. And I was excited when I got the developer device in October 2005.

I can also still remember the day when I first got the FM radio tuner in the N800 play using my own code, after a long weekend reading through the kernel code. This was a great moment! The N800 is still my trusty every-day radio alarm clock and it serves this task for at least two years now.

Another big highlight was the coming together of the Maemo community in Barcelona last December, and that I got invited to this event by qgil. I'm now looking forward to Dublin.

But the most valuable highlight is the constructive feedback from the users of my applications. This wouldn't have been possible without this community on talk.maemo.org.

This all is what made/makes Maemo so much fun!

---

Nokia 770 since Oct 2005
Nokia N800 since Feb 2007
Nokia N810 since Jan 2008
Nokia N900 since Sept 2009 (loaner), Dec 2009

Last edited by pycage; 2010-09-15 at 20:30.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
ohh now i got it :P
well that was a reason too

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Hmmm, thanks LCUK! Since I have been fingered as theminspiration for this thead, then I had better chime in with my story.

I' ve been a keen linux/source user since 98/99 when we got unix in at work, and I wanted to hone my skills, and gain familiarity with the platform. I have ran a linux mediia sever at home since then (mythtv since 2003).

What attracted me to the platform? Honestly, price! I saw the 770 for £70 in an expansys offer, and could not resist! I knew about the device and liked the promise, but could not justify a lot of money on one. It never left my hand, and have traded up since then when economics has permitted.

What keeps me with the platform, is the platform AND this community. I liken my device to a swiss army knife. i have come across nothing for the price and size which offers such a range of functions, all four devices have been ahead of their time.

What keeps me here at TMO, is the number of outstanding people here, and the teamwork, cooperation, and friendly positive nature shown by most people here. Most of whom have skills and knowledge which dwarf mine, and leave me in awe.

Quite simply the tablets and the community deserve each other. the tablets have the ability to handle just about anything which can be thown at them, and the community has the skills etc to extract every last drop of capability from them, and that is what continously amazes, thrills, and excites me. although i am but a lowly user, I have always been keen and willing to have ago with most stuff, and have at the very least tried most apps and hacks which have appeared in the last 3 years.

one thing i love, and it has improved for me with each generation, is the convergence, and how I have slowly been able to replace multiple gadgets and devices with now just one!

long may this platform and this community reign supreme!

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I always loved the helpful, friendly vibe. Developers, friendly banter, developers and good laughs. I was a lurker for a while before I bought the N800. I had never owned anything Nokia previously. One of the highlights for me was the release of OS 2008. I remember Tim Samoff's great wallpapers for the tablets, RevdKathy's bears and jokes and thoughtfix's tablet blog. We unfortunately lost thoughtfix at the N900's launch for various reasons. The community was a lot better when it wasn't about whatever phone is the flavour of the month.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post: