Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa

Maybe I should develop something for the iPhone....jeez!

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I tried making an app once. First, you NEED a Mac, so I had to Hakintosh. Then, the Objective-C language was a pain. None of my computer programmer friends knew how to write in that language, so I had to learn myself. The toolkit is nice though, much better than anything for Maemo...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
There's over 30 million people waiting for you.

iPod touch: $229
iPhone Developer Program: $99

“In many ways, developing a program is like writing a book,” said Jeffrey Tarter, the founding editor of a developers’ newsletter, Softletter. “You say, ‘I’m going to make something first of all that I like. Then I’ll worry about how to make money.’ ”

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Or, there is net security. See this article in the NY Times on hacking for the US gov't:

here

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Well, I have NOT heard anything negative about it even here
And on the other hand, it is difficult to be motivate, (gulup....just swallow 2 more prozac), to work on something as small as the N900. Is screen on palm PRE is same or bigger than palm, my 1st PDA. Someone here said it before, who would forget their first

Some rambling....

bun

The above article is alright, not great, a little bit whining, it does present the other side of the picture. But the comments are a lot more interestings. Anyhow, the way I looked at SW developers, not Apple in particular, is like building a mouse trap. If you got a good one, people is going to beat a path to come to you. So, building a good mouse trap is the key, app store, top10, top100 or whatnots is secondary. For those that are here long enough, would probably know the origin of Yahoo's success story: among being in the right place at the right time, they are the only search engine at that time allows to search for nude pics and may be saultry videos, Yahoo even house them in the beginning....again, some morning rambling.

bun