Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
Hmm,
Take a look at http://www.aliexpress.com/item/N900-...572687594.html - this is direct from the production consortiums in China. Key in the IMEI on the Nokia site, and should not a N900 crop up, then you can return it, the site guarantees that you get what you pay for. The seller is not paid before you accept this, which is the reason for prompt delivery. I buy other 5-6 year old replacement equipment from the same consortiums, and if they say it has been manufacturered for Nokia, that is the case. This is much safer than Ebay.

The Following User Says Thank You to knuthf For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I shudder to think anyone would expect a 3+ year old device to do any of that, frankly.
Then you're in for a rude awakening. You know how all of the iPhones got 3 major iterations of each and every iOS update? That means that folks with 2-3 year old machines think that their phone, while rather capable, should be able to do all of the stuff that the newer iterations can/should do.

It happens a lot more than you'd think.

Seriously, earlier today a person had the original 4gb iPhone, was not happy that it didn't get iOS 6. That phone is now 6 years old. Still worked though, looked great actually. But it's still almost 6 years old.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Then you're in for a rude awakening. You know how all of the iPhones got 3 major iterations of each and every iOS update? That means that folks with 2-3 year old machines think that their phone, while rather capable, should be able to do all of the stuff that the newer iterations can/should do.
You, I know, everybody knows that iOS for older iPhone have limited capabilities. Only the more recent iPhones run last iOS at full. And last iOS on old iPhones is slow.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
You, I know, everybody knows that iOS for older iPhone have limited capabilities. Only the more recent iPhones run last iOS at full. And last iOS on old iPhones is slow.
They don't care usually. As long as they have Angry Birds (Space, Seasons, Star Wars, et al).

Slow? They're still supported and updated. That's leagues better than the N900 and N9. Both were plopped out like a freshly laid out ****, left to harden and be flung about by the members of TMO.

Meh. I sometimes really am amazed at how disconnected some people within this community are to the rest of the world of self-entitled folks that suspect they should get 3 iterations of the OS and each and every update for the stuff they like.

In simpler terms, you people here are happy for a hardware keyboard and a terminal. That's not even on the radar of the rest of the folks on this planet.

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ India
after damaging mine i have ordered another one for $180.. N900 is the best!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to visN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
I love it as well (typing this from my N900) but ,truth be told, it has really started to show its age.. and that's totally cool and understandable. It's 4 year old tech!

I really can't see another worthy device. xcept a N4 here, a RAZR maxx there, or a GN, xperia P (love alluminum), Atrix ..maybe

but they all miss qwerty and maemo : )

Last edited by HELLASISGREECE; 2013-01-26 at 02:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
They don't care usually. As long as they have Angry Birds (Space, Seasons, Star Wars, et al).

Slow? They're still supported and updated. That's leagues better than the N900 and N9. Both were plopped out like a freshly laid out ****, left to harden and be flung about by the members of TMO.
I know some "heavy users" of iPhones (3, 3GS) who refused to upgrade last year for very known problems of worse performance and more limited jail-break due to new iOS versions.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
I know some "heavy users" of iPhones (3, 3GS) who refused to upgrade last year for very known problems of worse performance and more limited jail-break due to new iOS versions.
Disable all of the search items via System Preferences. It helps a ton. Been there, done that.

But that's neither here nor there. And I'm not sure you're ignoring the very obvious or it's just not that important - it's really not important to be honest. But to those customers, heavy users or not, they didn't have to buy a new phone from a 3GS (I know one in my inner-circle as well) because they were supported for that damn long. Was it slower? Yes. Was it the exact same? No. But was it a version they didn't have from the day they bought the phone? Indeed.

Now with that out of the way, my point about non-savvy users purchasing the best geek phone/pocket computer/plastic piece of masturbation that's been released in the last 5 years and then they find out that they have to learn Linux commands, use temporary repositories and have to actually invest time into research to make it hum at 1.1ghz with a bigger rootfs and better transitions only by reading this site. And only this site has collected that data in a semi-searchable manner.

Yeah. Real ****ing convenient.

At times I get why the folks with the iPhone 3GS don't update their phone. They just have to keep up with iTunes which magically updates them and the companies don't always immediately ignore them upon a dot upgrade or the like. Not always, but it's more the case than not.

Nokia cannot say that about any Maemo device. Is the N900 worth it in 2013? Only if you're a geek with enough time to read this entire message or have figured out that the search on this site is pure crap and you used Google with precise terms and inurl: or site: and found this warning.

The N900 is for geeks. Always has been. Always will be. And that increases more each passing day.

The update on the iPhone 3GS is indeed slow as it went along. But they got it. Enjoy the temporary repositories. I'd rather not jump through any more hoops.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: