Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
widgets slow things down alot, calender is one of them. also, try to keep number of home screens to a minimum.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by ckeszei View Post
Thanks all so far.
I just did a force stop on TW and lost all my homes screens - no big deal. But by losing the widgets it has speeded up considerably.
I will give the device until tonight before doing a factory reset.

I was tempted to just copy all the files to my pc and then back again rather than try a backup as I have bad memories of these on past HTC devices. Bujt we shall see

Also, where should I look for alternative ROMs and any suggestions?
That's seriously weird.
On mine/bro's NOTE2 I tried to get it to lag and I couldn't. I had maximum number of pages and widgets in all of them. With Music playing in background, downloading a file and using S Pen (a very heavy program -dunno why). It didn't lag.

What did get it to lag was when I opened the Camera App on top of that... there was a (noticeable) delay to get in the App followed by a long delay to preview the images. Still it was impressive, as that would choke most Android phones and other iPhones/Windows Phone can't even do it (they'll kill off those background tasks).

What killed the NOTE 2 was doing a very large copy and paste. This has been Android's achilles heel.

And EVERY note 2 has a lag going from Cold State to the Lockscreen. Not long, but a noticeable 1 second lag when you hit the Wake button.. weird.

I think the best ROM for the NOTE 2 is actually the original rom with only mods (eg Multi-Window MOD etc etc).

If you're really after something different, the only thing that I think is worth trying is PACMAN ROM:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1992386

This Stock ROM seems "okay" but I dont really know, I cant really recommend it:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1915036

To see all these ROMs/MODs follow this forum, especially the forth option as Android Development segment:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1790

I'm flattered

You're telling me.
It was as though the phone had been swapped for a dujmmy unit it was so slow

Will stick with the stock ROM for now but it all happened so suddenly - not due to the recent addition of widgets - I wondered if I had a virus etc.

Doesnt look like it was app specific either.

Reluctant to go back toi Samsung as I bought this in Hong Kong and had all sorts of crap over asian vs european guarantees on my Galaxy Tablet.

Final question - do I need to root my phone first to do a titanium back up as suggested on your earlier post?
Or can i simply back it up and reset and restore?

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Yes, you need root for TB to work, but I think there's an app called Carbon that backs up apps without root but it needs a PC to do that.
(Haven't tried it though)

Best experience atm is with stock ROM + Xposed framework for mods + Perseus kernel imo

Originally Posted by ckeszei View Post
You're telling me.
It was as though the phone had been swapped for a dujmmy unit it was so slow

Will stick with the stock ROM for now but it all happened so suddenly - not due to the recent addition of widgets - I wondered if I had a virus etc.

Doesnt look like it was app specific either.

Reluctant to go back toi Samsung as I bought this in Hong Kong and had all sorts of crap over asian vs european guarantees on my Galaxy Tablet.

Final question - do I need to root my phone first to do a titanium back up as suggested on your earlier post?
Or can i simply back it up and reset and restore?
Yeah.
Anyphone which runs Android 4.0.3 or higher and has a Tegra 3 or better shouldn't have any (noticeable) lag.

Mum has the iPhone 4, and it feels somewhat slower than my bro's NOTE 2 when you compare them side by side. My NOTE 1 has some lag issues but that's because I have heaps of Music, Videos, and heavy games on there as well as many mixed up files for my server and other random stuff. I also have 2 widgets (Calender and Music) and everything is in folders and gestured.

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Yeah.
Anyphone which runs Android 4.0.3 or higher and has a Tegra 3 or better shouldn't have any (noticeable) lag.

Mum has the iPhone 4, and it feels somewhat slower than my bro's NOTE 2 when you compare them side by side. My NOTE 1 has some lag issues but that's because I have heaps of Music, Videos, and heavy games on there as well as many mixed up files for my server and other random stuff. I also have 2 widgets (Calender and Music) and everything is in folders and gestured.
Thank you all for replies.

I decided to do a factory reset having backed up the files to my pc, something about rooting my phone and invalidating warranties worries me.

Maybe I'll be braver when I next upgrade.
All working well and speed resumed.

Yes, I lost all my home pages and wallpaper but Google seemed to restore contacts etc.
Used sms backup+ and got all bar a couple of those back too.

So my burning question on rooting is, are the alternative ROMs better than the standard?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
You should not root if you don't know why you want to root. Figur out somthing you want do with the phone. Just root it is no point...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Sens here is a talk about this Samsung note fablets with stylus pen, is it a good good to bay the note n7000 or not, or is it Samsung s2 better and smaller in size, anyone can suggest me something?

If N9 nitdroid did work camera and phone calls, i would never look at android phones, and it does not seem there is hope for one other fix update for our N9!

S2 is pretty great. But the NOTE (N7000) gives you a much better screen (720p HD), a much better screen (larger), a slightly better processor (overclocked), a slightly better camera (quality not pixels), and much better battery life (large battery). Oh and the S Pen.

Note 2 is "slightly better" than the N7000 in every way (software is cleaner, processor has more cores, display is better ratio and size and not PenTile, S Pen bigger, battery is larger, camera is slightly clearer, but most of all NOTIFICATION LIGHT).

I hope the next Note comes VERY SOON with a Dual A15-Dual A7 processor (powerful yet nimble), and hopefully has the latest Linux 3.7 Kernel (development sakes).

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
S2 is pretty great. But the NOTE (N7000) gives you a much better screen (720p HD), a much better screen (larger), a slightly better processor (overclocked), a slightly better camera (quality not pixels), and much better battery life (large battery). Oh and the S Pen.

Note 2 is "slightly better" than the N7000 in every way (software is cleaner, processor has more cores, display is better ratio and size and not PenTile, S Pen bigger, battery is larger, camera is slightly clearer, but most of all NOTIFICATION LIGHT).

I hope the next Note comes VERY SOON with a Dual A15-Dual A7 processor (powerful yet nimble), and hopefully has the latest Linux 3.7 Kernel (development sakes).
Thanks for the information's!
I heard that some HTC android is possible to flash with winmo OS...is it possible this Note's to be flashed or emulated with win or Ubuntu...?

Tags
android, note 2, performance, samsung