Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
Besides using mmcblk0p1, please check there is no newline after rootwait. It should be a single line.
yep, it's written with a single line but I don't know what's wrong and why it does not work!!!

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by mlwane View Post
I believe Arch has booted just fine. Just ignore the messages and type "root" and press return, it should then ask you to enter the password which I believe is "root" as well.
Well...............after doing reflash and starting Arch install all over again...

Success!!!

Still got the same error messages as before, but this time I did as you suggested and voila! was able to login....

Now, I see:

Code:
[root@localhost  ~]#
So, onto next steps.....

Thanks to all who provided guidance along the way, it is greatly appreciated and helped keep me going....

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Things seem to be stable a lot by now.
So is it time to look in the gsm stack possibly working on gprs edge 3g??
Will it be fesiable to have a thread to share experience . Status . Working apps our usecaces .detailed install guide whats working. Workarounds etc? Or wiki is better

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
The desktop is a matter of taste. Currently I am using e17.

right mouse button emulation: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=299
Code:
        Option "EmulateThirdButton" "1"
        Option "EmulateThirdButtonTimeout" "750"
        Option "EmulateThirdButtonThreshold" "30"
Thanks.
I installed e17, but can't get symbol keys to work. Now i only have letters and arrows, no special keys. They work perfectly in terminal before starting e17. Could someone tell me how to get them to work (with fise-keymap)? I've read the thread few times but either I am blind or the mead has softened my brains too much

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
I've understood that E17 has something of it's own to manage keyboard layouts so can't say anything about that, but package n900-configs has Xorg config that sets full US mapping as default. If E17 does not respect that and sets something else, setxkbmap might help, man-page has all the details.

Trying to get Xorg and LXDE working on n900 now....

First I tried installing xf86-video-fbdev-sgx-git, but that did not work at all for me, just black screen....so, removed it and then installed xf86-video-fbdev....

Have installed and configured both per info on Arch wiki...

But here's what I get now:

Here's error messages from /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

Code:
[  91.675] Current Operating System: Linux localhost 3.5.7.5-n900 #1 PREEMPT Sun Feb 17 05:44:07 EET 2013 armv71
   (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[  91.900] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[  91.987] (EE) Failed to load module "modesetting" (module does not exist, 0)
[  94.342] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "TSC2005 touchscreen" (type: TOUCHSCREEN, id 7)
[  94.347] (EE) evdev: TSC2005 touchscreen: ioctl EVI0CGBIT for bitmask in EvdevOpenMTDev failed: inappropriate ioctl for device
[  94.347] (EE) TSC2005 touchscreen: Couldn't open mtdev device
[  94.347] (EE) PreInit returned 2 for "TSC2005 touchscreen"
Any suggestions how to fix?

UPDATE
Got X and LXDE working now!.....had to install some missing Xorg packages....

Other Questions

1. How do you get to all the various symbols that one can get on keyboard in maemo by pressing 'blue arrow' and 'Sym' key?

2. Trying to install packer, but when I do, I get error messages:

Code:
$ makepkg PKGBUILD
.....blah blah blah...
WARNING: Using a PKGBUILD without a package () function is deprecated.
.....blah blah blah...
Connecting to github GIT server....
Cloning into packer
error: SSL certificate problem: certificate is not yet valid while accessing https://github.com/keenerd/packer.git/info/refs?service=git-upload-pack
fatal: HTTP request failed
===> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting....
Any suggestions?

UPDATE 2 & More Questions

Decided to try yaourt since I was having problem installing packer. Yaourt installed and works OK....

However, want to install firefox and tried installing 'firefox-mod' and got error message that it's not available for 'armv7h architecture'....

3. Anyone know if there's version of firefox that will work?

4. Is AC Charging working properly when using Arch?

I ask as I had N900 plugged into AC Charger while using Arch. Unplugged AC when I left for work this morning. When I got to work, N900 would not come on as before. So, it appears that battery was not charged. Charging battery now....

Thanks!

Nokia N900

Last edited by ArchiMark; 2013-05-02 at 15:15. Reason: Update - Got LXDE Working! Other Questions

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
I've understood that E17 has something of it's own to manage keyboard layouts
That's true. With LXDE and Xfce the fise-layout works as well as in Maemo, but with e17 pressing fn+letter does only some accended letters (á, œ, ø and such). My knowledge with setxkbmap had no result. Can someone who uses e17 tell if this is possible, or should I just install some other desktop engine?

Originally Posted by Keneraali View Post
Can someone who uses e17 tell if this is possible, or should I just install some other desktop engine?
try to run setxkbmap from a terminal inside e17
you can find the keyboard details in /etc/X11/xorg.d/

First, thought I'd share two photos of N900 running Arch & LXDE....and then my questions....

So far, LXDE is working nicely.....

Questions

1. How do you get to all the various symbols that one can get on keyboard in maemo by pressing 'blue arrow' and 'Sym' key?

For example, how to type '>' or '|', etc....

Code:
$ makepkg PKGBUILD
.....blah blah blah...
WARNING: Using a PKGBUILD without a package () function is deprecated.
.....blah blah blah...
Connecting to github GIT server....
Cloning into packer
error: SSL certificate problem: certificate is not yet valid while accessing https://github.com/keenerd/packer.git/info/refs?service=git-upload-pack
fatal: HTTP request failed
===> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting....Any suggestions?

3. Anyone know how to install firefox ?

I tried to install firefox by using yaourt and tried installing 'firefox-mod' that I saw in the list of firefox selections and got error message that it's not available for 'armv7h architecture'....

UPDATE: have tried other builds such as 'firefox-nightly' and no go....

So, installed epiphany and chromium for now....if anyone has any other recommendations, let me know...

I ask as I had N900 plugged into AC Charger while using Arch.

Unplugged AC when I left for work this morning. When I got to work, N900 would not come on as before. So, it appears that battery was not charged. Charging battery now....

UPDATE: After charging up battery, rebooted and it is working OK. However, I can't tell if AC charging is working or not....any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nokia N900

Last edited by ArchiMark; 2013-05-03 at 04:36. Reason: Updated Info

The Following User Says Thank You to ArchiMark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
ArchiMark, congrats

Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
From the first post of this thread, under the section about Xorg:
Originally Posted by Skry
For input device configuration, install n900-configs.
For n900 keymaps, install xkeyboard-config-n900-git.
Code:
error: SSL certificate problem: certificate is not yet valid
Your clock is off. Sometimes it gets reset. Use ntp or similar. A known issue, also mentioned in the first post, if you would have bothered to read it.

3. Anyone know how to install firefox ?
got error message that it's not available for 'armv7h architecture'....
armv7h is not defined in the pkgbuild. You can use --ignorearch, or just add armv7h manually to pkgbuild. I doubt you want to compile firefox with your N900 though..
The build succeeded on ARM v7, compiled with a Trim-Slice. With 8 jobs and distributed cross-compile set up, the build took about 18 hours and peak 2 GB memory.
So, installed epiphany and chromium for now....if anyone has any other recommendations, let me know...
Midori

Yes. If it's not, source of the issue is the same that screws the clock and breaks the audio. Power off once from Alarm, boot in to it again, and everything should work.

Last edited by Skry; 2013-05-03 at 22:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post: