Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
pkcon refresh is not really necessary (but also does not hurt) as it is executed within version --dup
Interesting, I had no idea. I wonder why the issue I described still occurs even after version --dup-ing to a new version.

Originally Posted by olf View Post
This is exactly one of the situations I created sfos-upgrade for.
It also automatically provides a log file in addition to the "live" output at the screen.

And please don't make people omitting "stop releases" by advising to blindly use ssu re <version> && version --dup, because this will likely result in failing to upgrade. Unfortunately this advice is regularly provided at TJC and here at TMO (also in this thread).
BTW, AFAICS 3.0.0.8 is also a "stop release", which should not be omitted to install!
Great point, I always forget about stop releases as I've never had to reinstall any device, so I've always been only 1 update away from the latest version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Any one have a list of stop releases?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by olf View Post
... sfos-upgrade ... "stop releases" ...
Did you click any of these already provided links?

Or did you do a search with 'stop releases' on TMO? https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.ph...=stop+releases

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Interesting, I had no idea. I wonder why the issue I described still occurs even after version --dup-ing to a new version.
Oh, this seems to be a misunderstanding:
A pkcon refresh (shouldn't be, but factually) is advisable after an SailfishOS upgrade per version --dup succeeded and one has rebooted the device.
It is not necessary in between the ssu re <version> and the version --dup, because a version --dup implicitly refreshes all active repositories before downloading and installing the updated packages.

Last edited by olf; 2019-03-17 at 23:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Careful with following instructions on talk or together! There are several serious misunderstandings on how SFOS works.

For starters, "installed apps" may cause dependency issues that get resolved by doing a "version --dup" even before you attempt to do anything else. Setting the release version with ssu and using version leaves out sanity checks the gui-updater does. Rebooting the system is properly done with dsmetool on cli or gui only, all other variants you may know from desktop computers may work in most circumstances and brick your devices in others (like never use "reboot" on SFOS cli especially not after an upgrade). If there was something wrong with the upgrade and you fail to recognize it you may brick your device and keep both pieces. There should be a comprehensive list of stop-releases on together.

I could go on fo hours writing up what you can and should not do, what is save to assume and append a beginners guide - oh wait, did most of that on tjc (together by jolla https://together.jolla.com/).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Rebooting the system is properly done with dsmetool on cli or gui only, all other variants you may know from desktop computers may work in most circumstances and brick your devices in others (like never use "reboot" on SFOS cli especially not after an upgrade).
I won't comment on the rest, but this is total nonsense.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Not sure if it's related, but I've been getting failed updates on my Jolla 1 devices the last couple times (mainly not enough memory is the one that pops up mostly). Takes a few attempts but gets there in the end, sometimes having to uninstall apps to get it to update.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Not sure if it's related, but I've been getting failed updates on my Jolla 1 devices the last couple times (mainly not enough memory is the one that pops up mostly). Takes a few attempts but gets there in the end, sometimes having to uninstall apps to get it to update.
One of the sanity check that the GUI cares about and the CLI method not.

Have >500MB free on rootfs.
On Jolla1 BTRFS also plays a role

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
@chemist, I would love to enhance sfos-upgrade, but unfortunately your post does not contain anything specific or at least pointers to specific information. So, currently it just appears to be unsubstantiated to me.

Specifically:

[...]
For starters, "installed apps" may cause dependency issues that get resolved by doing a "version --dup" even before you attempt to do anything else.
Yes, just as updating at the GUI: this is no difference, unavoidable and O.K.

Setting the release version with ssu and using version leaves out sanity checks the gui-updater does.
Which are?
Do you think I missed any in sfos-upgrade?

Rebooting the system is properly done with dsmetool on cli or gui only, all other variants you may know from desktop computers may work in most circumstances and brick your devices in others (like never use "reboot" on SFOS cli especially not after an upgrade).
Can you provide a little reasoning for your statement?
It sounds like FUD, as Jolla suggests to use reboot after upgrading SFOS at the CLI (e.g. here and at other places) and it just invokes systemd's reboot target, AFAICS.

If there was something wrong with the upgrade and you fail to recognize it you may brick your device and keep both pieces.
Well, this is always the case, regardless how an SFOS upgrade is performed, like "if there was something wrong with your food and you fail to recognize it, you may die".

There should be a comprehensive list of stop-releases on together.
No, not on TJC, but the correct link has been provided multiple times in this thread, already.

I could go on fo hours writing up what you can and should not do, what is save to assume and append a beginners guide - oh wait, did most of that on tjc (together by jolla https://together.jolla.com/).
Unfortunately searching TJC did not provide any relevant postings from you addressing SFOS ugrades at the CLI.
Can you please provide a web link or really start "writing up what you can and should not do, [and] what is save to assume"?
Thanks!

Last edited by olf; 2019-04-11 at 19:04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone, sailfish 3, update