Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I can say with complete honesty that the MeeGo announcements were disappointing but not surprising. I think most of us from the pre-N900 days were just waiting for Nokia to do it all again. Remember the almost-embarrassed announcement of the N900 at Nokia World? Ari's "It isn't for everyone, but I like it," response? And even at the height of the N900 excitement, we kept hearing, "Step 4 of 5," repeated over and over. I know I never really expected the N900 to go fully mainstream. My surprises were things like Angry Birds appearing on the N900. Now that was a nice surprise! Also, the sheer number of downloads of my scripts from Extras was a real shocker.

Are you saying you were surprised? That MeeGo hit you like a ton of bricks?
Well, I think the TMO users have given front row seats to all things maemo... so those 'step 4 out of 5' message have been drilled to us over and over again, that people here expect everyone else in the world to know about it.

I agree that there's been some nice things discovered (for n900 and maemo 5) along the way, and there's no lack of bad surprises too (no mms, ussd, landscape-only, et al).

Maybe not like a ton of bricks, but I was surprised (or rather, superbly disappointed) that Nokia did not handle this 'transition' any better, given that the n900 has actually hit mainstream (IMO; since it's widely available and often cited and compared against popular smartphones online).

EDIT: Sorry for replying to such old posts... Oh well...
Don't worry, we're all omnipotent beings, time is never an issue for us
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Patroclo View Post
About the change of the title, that was a censorship act. Simply in this forum strong criticism agains Nokia is not allowed (I don't know where in the world the servers hosting this forum are, if in a democratic country or not).
As the text of the old title remains in the new title, I don't see how it can be classed as censorship. The old title was confusing - it sounded like a definitive statement when in fact it wasn't. The new title better describes what the thread has actually been covering.

But words are useless but facts and acts useful. Companies want from us money. Dear Nokia, no money from me anymore, because I am totally unsatisfied as a customer.
Indeed, that's the only real way you have of affecting the behaviour of any business. Of course, unless substantial numbers follow then the impact is insignificant.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
About the change of the title, that was a censorship act.
... all I can say is strange women laying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Incorrect. Check dictionary.com for the actual definition of censorship.

Simply in this forum strong criticism agains Nokia is not allowed.
Incorrect. Strong criticism of Nokia has always and will always be allowed providing it fits within forum guidelines. There are numerous examples-- many from me in fact.

Companies want from us money. Dear Nokia, no money from me anymore, because I am totally unsatisfied as a customer
As is your right.

Feel free to strongly and constructively criticize to your heart's content.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
?

The former title is still there in the "was:" section.
This is normal behaviour in the usenet newsgroups.
But maybe you do not know usenet...
;-)

Simply in this forum strong criticism agains Nokia is not allowed
That would only be correct, if the postings were deleted.
That was not the case.

I love all the people who defend Nokia by saying they are a here to make money so we should not expect new updates or apps, technically they broke no promises, etc, like that is a good strategy to make money.

Just look at the stock price. The only tangible thing I have seen from pr 1.3 is more reboots. How much effort did they put into pr 1.3, I bet not much. Love the device due to the community and linux in general but Nokia deserves the killing in their stock they have received based on how they handle their base as opposed to the high flyers of the cell phone market.

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest