Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
@mrrhq

no need to be sorry man ! you are trying to help right ? and im not attacking you just talking about this script and as i said on my first post in this thread i appreciate your work and of course every single work in TMO
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Spain
u make a exercise for ur high school no?!

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manila
hey man, how is the camera, browser, file manager, etc. a bloatware? those you mentioned in your first post are core apps.

I believe, bloatwares are chess, mahjong, puszzle, user manuals...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kent_autistic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have complained about this sort of thing too, but I don't trust this particular script;I would rather use a program that helps me make decisions for myself and doesn't make decisions for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by kent_autistic View Post
hey man, how is the camera, browser, file manager, etc. a bloatware? those you mentioned in your first post are core apps.

I believe, bloatwares are chess, mahjong, puszzle, user manuals...
"For now this is designed as a "proof-of-concept" script that I am working on that plans to remove as much bloatware or unnecessary software, especially proprietary software, from the Maemo 5 OS as much as possible without causing the N900 to "brick"."

" If you attempt your best to use and bathe in free software like I am doing. You get the idea."

"At least as much proprietary software as possible should be removed (sorry if I sound too much like RMS)."

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to towhatend For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by mrrhq View Post
I'm just trying to find out if the osso- stuff is really closed source, unnecessary, and if it can be replaced.
There's already a list of closed source packages and possible replacements, see http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages

And, AFAIK, CSSU guys are considering rewriting closed parts of Fremantle (non-core closed source components made by Nokia, source of this information: http://www.mwkn.net/2012/21/devel.html ).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
There's already a list of closed source packages and possible replacements, see http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages

And, AFAIK, CSSU guys are considering rewriting closed parts of Fremantle (non-core closed source components made by Nokia, source of this information: http://www.mwkn.net/2012/21/devel.html ).
Oh, thank you very much for that, because I know the Free Maemo page is way outdated and uninformative. And I only noticed that and assumed it was the only resource for the N900 free software advocates. But thanks for proving me wrong.

I think I will put this script off for now and study that in my free time.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I think I will put this script off for now and study that in my free time.
At least try and make your warnings more clear (bigger), especially about removing things like browsers, pdf-viewers and such. People who do not know better will download, run your script and run into trouble. Believe me, they will.

Personally I believe removing parts of the OS like this is certainly legit, but I would advise anyone who would like to try it out for the first time, to do it by hand, item for item. Once you're happy, you create your own script to automate the process for future reflash-sessions. But by all means, keep control of your device and the commands you execute on it.

If you intent to keep the script online, at least include some warnings within the script as well, and perhaps even an exit trigger. Try and think more from the perspective of a general user if you share scripts.

PS: Posting scripts like this and not knowing about the wiki list, there really is no excuse.

Last edited by anthonie; 2012-05-23 at 06:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
osso-xterm cannot be removed, just because...
Just for the record (I know, necro thread, digging...) - this one is FOSS. No reason to remove it, even leaving technical problems alone.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Tags
bad idea, script-a-brick