Originally Posted by velox View Post
Mozilla is using Gecko. Operas layout engine is called Presto.
Thanx for the info.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok, the vibe I'm getting (beyond the usual "Stop speculating; wait for official announcements") is that there will be a nice overlap period where we'll have the two major open source browser engines living side-by-side on Maemo/MeeGo devices, as crazy as that sounds. Meego, the OS with two browser engines built-in!

As warm and fuzzy as that is, I can't see that as being sustainable indefinitely. Just like Qt and GTK, In the long term, Nokia's going to have to choose an "official" browser platform. Since Qt and WRT have both made that decision already, and they chose Webkit, I just don't see Mozilla winning here.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by qole View Post

Since Qt and WRT have both made that decision already, and they chose Webkit, I just don't see Mozilla winning here.
+ That Other Nokia Platform (tm) allready uses Webkit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia drops Gecko in favor of Webkit. The fact that Gecko is always loaded in memory in Maemo <= 5 so the browser starts faster is not the most desirable situation in a limited resource environment as a mobile phone. Also, Gecko has it's own toolkit so it doesn't fit with the rest of the desktop. If you want Gecko, installing Fennec should do the job.

ITOH I'm willing what is Nokia going to do for the Qt-ified Modest as it needs an HTML widget with DOM capabilities accesible through his API and AFAIK Qt Webkit lacks this support.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ignacius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I personally prefer Gecko. I also don't expect Gecko to be dumped in favor of WebKit, but of course everyone can be proved wrong.

Opera is out of question. Its also buggy as hell. Still.

Can we have a question mark on the end of the topic? There's no WebKit default browser in MeeGo yet AFAIHS.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
Nightly Fennec is already faster than microb in some cases if you don't mind initial start time and it is being updated frequently unlike all Nokia software.
For example microb fails to render wow armory properly and despite bugzilla says it is fixed in upcoming firmware for over 2 patches now I can't just grab nightly and use it if I choose to do so.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I personally prefer Gecko. I also don't expect Gecko to be dumped in favor of WebKit, but of course everyone can be proved wrong.
Oh I hope you aren't proven wrong.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Can we have a question mark on the end of the topic? There's no WebKit default browser in MeeGo yet AFAIHS.
There's no MeeGo yet AFAIHS.

But I agree, a question mark would be better. If I could change it I would. And I tried. Really! I did!

I think one of the reasons Nokia stayed with Gecko was because of XUL?

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by qole View Post
There's no MeeGo yet AFAIHS.
Well, my netbook says MeeGo on boot and I didn't put any specific boot screen there :P

Bundyo: oh come on, you grabbed that short-lived version of Moblin that was superficially branded as MeeGo. Can anyone else get that version?

Tags
firefox, mozilla, web runtime, webkit, wrt