Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
A smarter operating system would have launched the back-up manager and recommended storing a back-up before performing upgrades.
C'mon, Dan, don't troll. I know you now hate Nokia, love Android, and won't get within one hundred yards of an N900 for fear of irreplacable stylus disease, but you've used Diablo. You know Maemo does encourage the user to use, and even offers to launch, the Backup application at the start of the SSU process.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
... And again this is a _community_ site.. go to http://discussions.nokia.com and nag as much as you want there.. Nobody can help you here..

Although I could say that the back up has never backed up applications.. It just makes a list of what you had so it will download for you when you restore your backup...

Last edited by bandora; 2010-10-27 at 10:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
For whatever reason I backed up everything on the device itself and Ovi Suite but the backup on device was usefull as it restored my settings and re-installed the apps that were there before upgrade.

Dont rely on Ovi suite backup

The Following User Says Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:
That does sound quite helpful but where do I find this download list? Thanks for the help

Originally Posted by lmtlmt View Post
That does sound quite helpful but where do I find this download list?
The Backup application automatically launches the Application Manager and offers to begin the application re-installation process at the end of restoring any backup that contains an application list.

If you choose not to install then, or if some of your repositories aren't available during the initial run, you can continue the re-installation process at any time by launching the Application Manager, opening its menu, and selecting "Restore applications".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
when i go there the restore applications button is greyed out

Have you restored from a backup yet?

Originally Posted by lmtlmt View Post
when i go there the restore applications button is greyed out
That indicates you've either not restored a backup file that included an application list or you've already reinstalled all applications in the application list of the last backup you restored.

apparently ovi suite fails at backing up

The sensible thing to do would be to backup everything manually next time.
I backed up my Root and EMMC manually and got everything back to the way it was within an hour of flashing with 1.3

Use this as a learning curve