Seems to be working for me so far. Just loaded a few of the apps that came with it, but they are running.

Q: Does anyone have wifi working on the 770?

I'm thinking there should be some module to load, but I'm a server guy (no wireless servers at my work :-) and not much debian, other than the 770. I did see the part earlier about copying files, so I copied the files from /mnt/initfs//usr/lib/hotplug/firmware to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware and rebooted, but I knew it wouldn't be that easy. :-)

dmesg didn't seem to have anything usefull; I'll keep poking around too.

Thanx,

desiv

Also, while I'm thinking...
Partitioning question .
I'd like both OSes to see the same data.
Would it be best to resize partitions and set up a 512M (or so) vfat?
Or try to mount the deblet root in OS2006?
Or not bother? ;-)

desiv
(or get a 4 or 8 gig card... :-O )

Posting from deblet with Iceweasel on wifi!
It wasn't too bad.
modprobe cx3110x
edit the interfaces file in /etc/network
I don't have it quite right. I ifup wlan0 and it fails.
Then I iwconfig wlan0 essid NETGEAR
Then I dhclient wlan0 and I'm in.
But I think that's just getting familiar with the interfaces file.

Its late, bye.

desiv

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Yeah, I need to compile a cx3110x for 770 with some wifi extensions, but I'll get around to it.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
ok, just installed wifi radar and it works great.
Just had to tell it in preferences to ifup first and I can select my home net and connect.
Haven`t tried wep or wpa, but open just worked great.

Tried to install tablet-sound and that failed, but I didn`t really read the error message.
I`ll try again later.
I also had my BT keyboard working!

So far so good.

desiv

Still can't install tablet-sound.
Seems like its dying on osso-dsp-modules-rx-34 or 44.
It says the package is not available.
I'll reread the thread and see if I missed having to add a repository or something.

desiv

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Didn't add 770 sound yet. Should be a matter of dsp tasks.

No prob. Just let me know if you need anything on a 770 done, tested, etc..
Still plenty to do to keep me having fun with this new OS.

Thanx,

desiv

Just a quick update on what I've done so far on deblet on my 770.
Note: I'm not very familiar with Debian, but pretty familiar with Linux and the shell.

WiFi -
The first thing I wanted was WiFi. So I needed to get the OS to recognize the interface.
As root, I edited the file "/etc/network/interfaces" and uncommented and edited the lines:
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
up iwconfig wlan0 essid NETGEAR power 200u multicast
(Note: NETGEAR is the name of my open access point at home. It's on a separate firewalled subnet from my home machines, and I like my neighbors. :-)

This didn't totally work tho. I could do an "ifup wlan0" and it would time-out trying to get dhcp (or I'd hit ctrl-c) and it was ignoring the essid. But after I did the ifup, I could do:
iwconfig wlan0 essid NETGEAR
dhclient wlan0

and then it would work... A bit awkward, but not bad.
At some point pretty soon after getting wifi working, I did an "apt-get update".

Then I read about a package called wifi radar. So I installed that (I must have used Synaptic from the GUI because it's not in my history, but "apt-get install wifi-radar" would be faster (if it's spelled wifi-radar :-). ) and it has an option in it's preferences called "ifup" and when I enabled that, it shows me lists of access points, allowed me to connect to mine. Nice and easy.
WiFi works great.

-----

Bluetooth keyboard.

I have an iGo usb keyboard I wanted to use. So I started work on that.
First I hit ctrl and the two function keys to start my keyboard broadcasting. Then I went to the terminal as root and typed:
hidd --search
That found my keyboard and showed me the address (which is also on the bottom of the keyboard).
So I edited the file "/etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf" and added this to the bottom of the file:
device 00:11:22:33:44:55
{
name "Think Outside Keyboard";
auth enable;
encrypt enable;
}

Also, I loaded my Bluetooth Manager preferences (It's the blootooth symbol in the taskbar next to the clock), and went to the General tab and set Automatically authorize incoming requests. If you're paranoid/secure, you don't have to do this. Your call. :-)
Next I edited the file "/etc/default/bluetooth" and changed 2 lines as such:
HIDD_ENABLED=1
HIDD_OPTIONS="--connect 00:11:22:33:44:55 --master --server"

You probably only need to "/etc/init.d/bluetooth restart" to get it to kick in, but I rebooted it as I was being very mean to him with lots of other attempts at the time. :-)

Now my keyboard connects automatically when I hit a few keys.

--------------

Time...
OK, the last thing I did was fix the digital clock. It's not broken, but it was showing me UTC, not local time, and the wrong time zone and 24 hour format.
So, I went into Digital Clock Settings from the clock and changed Clock Format from "%R" to "%l:%M %p"
That got my display to 12 hour, but still the wrong timezone.
So I went to the shell and typed:
tzselect
And I went through and made my selections.
When I was done, it gave me a line to add to the end of a file called .profile in my home directory, so I did that.

I rebooted and now my clock displays local time in 12 hour format.

Nothing fancy here, but just something to possibly save someone some time (or me when I have to re-install and come back here to remember what I did. :-)

desiv

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to desiv For This Useful Post:
Q: on power managment/brightness?

I have the brightness control installed... It pulls up the window with the slider, but it never does anything with my brightness. No matter what I set it to, it's the same level.
I made sure I have the 48MHz 770 kernel that has the extensions for multiple levels of backlight.

Not sure if that's 770 specific.

Also, I have a battery monitor applet installed, but it never shows anything. I'm guessing that is because the standard applet uses ACPI, and we're not?? I poked around /proc and didn't see any power stuff in there.

It also feels like it's draining the battery faster than OS2006, but I haven't tested that yet.

Still having fun and poking around. Just listing what I've seen so far.

I also ordered an 4GB sdhc class 6 card. Not sure if I can get it to fit in the 770, the threads here authoritatively say it might be possible. :-) So I'll be playing with that soon. (It was like $10, so what the heck. :-)

I'll be working on button mapping pretty soon.

Thanx, this is more fun than any game I've ever had on any of my PDAs!!!

desiv

Tags
debian, deblet, deblet 770 experiment