Notices

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Micky View Post
Thanks, this is the video file.

http://www.digital-digest.com/movies...ast_stand.html
I downloaded and got an error playing it back when it was trying to create the dsp node. This file "should" play back fine without any new stuff to install. I suspect we need an update for gst-dsp and the file should play ok then. I will ask the relevant people and get back to you.

I managed to play it with a custom GStreamer pipeline without using the dsp video decoder and it started playing but the cpu is not enough to decode 720p MPEG4 without help from the dsp.

The Following User Says Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
This is another question, so I'll ask it in another post.

What is the command line way to set up an http wmv stream from /dev/video0? What about also sending a stream to the screen as well?

Is there also a way to run VLC from the command line, and when it is finished playing the thing you asked it to play, it quits rather than staying in VLC?

If I could get a command line, I could even package it up like the old "Peekaboo" project for the NITs...
I have done this (well not wmv but another format) with flumotion. I plan on cleaning up packages etc. and putting up in extras-devel to make this easy.

The Following User Says Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Micky View Post
Thanks, this is the video file.

http://www.digital-digest.com/movies...ast_stand.html
So 720p mpeg4/divx is not supported by the dsp decoder. That is why these don't play.

i filed a bug on maemo bugzilla at:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6165

so they can clean up the error message.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
From a practical point, why would we want 720p?

1. Pointless on 800X480 display
2. Space hog
3. Battery hog
4. N900 has no practical heat dissipation (720p is hot)
5. Archos 5 with both a metal case and a heatsink runs hot with 720p.
6. The composite output would be 480 lines interlaced of resolution, so no advantage outputting externally either.

Is this just to test the ceiling of the chipset? I can say that 720p does work with the 3430, because I have last year's Archos 5 and it uses the same chipset and plays them fine- but REAL hot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Why Rushmore?

Because we can. It's about pushing the boundaries.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Not having to convert if you happen to come across that high res, downloading directly from the browser

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arono For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Understood, just the point that the device would probably fail after about ten minutes due to no practical heat dissipation for such heavy bandwidth. Perhaps if it had a metal case, it could have piped to that, but it does not. Still be warm to hold though

Again, the 3430 DOES play 720p, so it would be a case of drivers being made. Archos may suck with sound quality, but they are kings with video drivers.

Sorry to sound like a complete newb, but I just want to know, is VLC available for the N900 yet?
I've checked both the downloads section here and VLC's website, and I've yet to see a Maemo5 version. But, I can always hope.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
There's a version of VLC available, but it isn't for "newbs". It is missing a GUI (meaning it can only run from the command line) and it has to be installed with root and "dpkg -i" from a developer's server...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
We have the WIndows/Linux PC UI somewhat working now using Qt4.5. You can get it from the "fremantle" branch at http://git.remlab.net/git/vlc.git/

Better than CLI, but still far from satisfactory. Also, the build process still needs to be cleaned up. So I am dubious about releasing to Fremantle Extras in this state.

Basically, a UI developer would be needed and there is currently none.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redenisc For This Useful Post:

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard