Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
480p is HD and should be a good fit for the n900. Downscaling 720p on-the-fly so you don't have to transcode doesn't seem reasonable to me. Get an ION netbook if you want to watch 720p.
480p is SD not HD.

The Following User Says Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
480p is SD not HD.
You're right, thanks. I think I meant to say that 480p is one of the standard ATSC formats. Totally unrelated.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by redenisc View Post
Also, currently I believe only gstreamer can use the DSP. So mplayer or VLC or whatever non-gstreamer thing will have to do the decoding on the Cortex. Not only am I not aware of any DSP support plans for non-gstreamer apps, but I am not sure if the DSP arbitration allows for third party application.
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
Nokia have provided the TI DSP codecs for decoding. These will not do 720p like the HD pack but an enterprising dev or company could create better optimised codecs and sell them on ovi store or provide them in extras.
zaheerm: Do you see any possibility of bringing DSP-accelerated decoding to third-party apps (mplayer & VLC)? Or do you agree with redenisc?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I guess the TI DSP codecs are closed, but is there documentation on how to access them from outside of gstreamer?
And of course, what redenisc asked, whether third party apps can at all access them or if it's locked to gstreamer

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
zaheerm: Do you see any possibility of bringing DSP-accelerated decoding to third-party apps (mplayer & VLC)? Or do you agree with redenisc?
gst-dsp is free software

http://github.com/felipec/gst-dsp

The code could be adapted for other media players like mplayer and vlc. Just a matter of work.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zaheerm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
That was not my point. Yes, the code is open-source, and nothing prevents mplayer, VLC or whoever else from re-implementing it (except time constraints).

But that does not prove that access arbitration will work and the device won't burn in flames if say mplayer tries to use the DSP at the same time as gstreamer.

Originally Posted by redenisc View Post
That was not my point. Yes, the code is open-source, and nothing prevents mplayer, VLC or whoever else from re-implementing it (except time constraints).

But that does not prove that access arbitration will work and the device won't burn in flames if say mplayer tries to use the DSP at the same time as gstreamer.
The dsp would error out on one or the other if it failed. This would happen if multiple gstreamer based processes used it too, so no different. I don't mind only having GStreamer but if others want mplayer/vlc let them do the work to get the dsp stuff working.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh I seriously hope either VLC or MPlayer gets some DSP code.

oh yeah that would be sweet!

I'm sorry, I normally consider myself pretty tech-savvy, but could someone explain what "access arbitration" is, how it relates to this discussion and what it has to do with my future N900 dying in a fire?

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard