Just took it out of the box and charged. I had a tablet ages ago so its not alien to me. But first thing I do is connect to wireless AP and browse the web, and it is HORRIBLE, barely usable its so slow.

So I check the OS, I've got 2008SE1.2007.42-19 wow...ancient. So as I'm waiting for download, I noticed one thing, browsing internal storage via USB, the 2GB is empty. Thought I read somewhere that the wayfinder maps use up 3/4 of the space?

So am I screwed for maps right out of the box? Cause this download DIABLO_5.2008.43-7 sure doesnt contain anything that large.

Anyway like I said, I'm just getting started, and look forward to learning a LOT here.

Thanks.

OK, see you have to download the maps, geez. Still searching for a location, but I read about the suck GPS. Browsing with DIABLO seems MUCH better, but still, everything about this device seems a little sluggish, saw a mention of performance tips & tweaks somewhere, will have to hunt that down again.

Any advice for a brand new user, things that are deemed NECESSARY right off the bat? Thank.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
was your n810 purchased new or,second-hand?

i got mine in march, and it came with latest diablo flash and maps pre-iinstalled. it was new frsh off the line after the massive backorder.

first thin you should do is setup qole's repository (search qole repository on here) and install TEAR.it is by far the best browser for the n810.

Thanks for the advice, Ill chk out Qole & Tear.

I have yet to get a GPS signal on this flippin thing, I mean I heard it was slow but man.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2009 @ Tacoma Washington
Hey SnortonX you are not alone..I have had my tablet for 4 weeks..and it isn't worth much to me..it's slow on wireless. video playback slow, you tube videos choppy, half the things I want to do with it don't work and am hoping that someone in the "community" actually understands that not all tablet users have their heads in the Linux Clouds...if I ever get USB control installed. I'll take that as a "moral victory" and say Sayonara Maemo...NEVER AGAIN!!! StrykerMan