Poll: Can you legally break an NDA? (Theoretical)
Poll Options
Can you legally break an NDA? (Theoretical)

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Disclaimer: This is a purely theoretical question. I have no NDAs that I remotely want to break. Although I have signed quite a few.

Are there any circumstances in which one can "legally" break an NDA?

Post your various possibilities.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-05-13 at 20:11.

If puppies are going to be killed, yes.

Originally Posted by xomm View Post
Are there any circumstances in which one can "legally" break an NDA?
unquestionably, just post the NDA and someone will give you a workaround, might be a bit late by then though.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
You can disclose something anonymously or disclose something to a third-party then third-party can make info public?

EDIT: Actually this is probably illegal!

As far as i know, an NDA is just a contract. Breaking it is no more illegal than defaulting on your credit (since it seems to be a common topic): you break the contract, pay the fine or whatever. Disclosing trade secrets is something else however
I'm pretty sure that if you see something illegal, you must go through the NDA and go to the police
Other than that, just read the contract, or show it to a lawyer. Finding lame technicalities to invalidate an act is their job

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
do it do it do it!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It depends.

On one hand most commercial NDAs are policy documents. Many people get confused over policy and law. The former is specific to an entity (like a corporation) while the latter applies to society at large.

For example, a company may prohibit you from giving away to someone else a copy of their software that you legally purchased, but that's policy. No law against it.

On the other hand, NDAs are contracts and come under contract law, which makes them a civil legal issue. If you sign and then violate a contract, you may be liable for civil action.

However, you are much better consulting a legal expert than an enthusiast forum.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-05-13 at 21:01.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Maybe if the other party somehow breaks the contract in ways that can be used as grounds for you to break your end of it.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Mind you, discovering a semi-legal way to go around a contract doesn't help you from finding the other party in question not wanting to ever deal with you again.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Maybe if the other party somehow breaks the contract in ways that can be used as grounds for you to break your end of it.
Yes, in my understanding the originator violating the contract frees the signee.