Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, why not address it here? At least in the form of discussion; what is Mer missing right now, in terms of these outdated packages? And why is GPLv3 necessary -- what is so different about it that modern packages can only be licensed using GPLv3, and no other license? Thanks!
I tried to open a similar discussion there : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96195&page=2
But It didn't had a lot of success...

The Following User Says Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
I tried to open a similar discussion there : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96195&page=2
But It didn't had a lot of success...
Well, but the difference here is that I have no interest in dealing with corporations for the purposes of this distribution (if distribution it will be). This is simply a question of what would it take for someone (for example, me ) to cobble together a mobile Linux/Mer/etc. OS by themselves. What would be absolutely necessary? (And yeah, the more work involved, the less likely it is that a feature will appear...)

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I just recently joked about how the best selling tablet to geeks should only come with terminal and a plethora of touch enabled (read: UX properly done, not some of these more recent hack jobs that barely work unless you punch the screen).
Actually it is nothing to be joked about, having a proper terminal is the most desirable feature of a handheld, so why not for a tablet device too. Of course it needs a proper keyboard too; fingerterrm and like is usable but for example on my Jolla device I use TOHOKBD almost exclusively.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Otherwise, it will be ****-talked to death because User X wanted Option Y for... reasons.
Basically this can be avoided by just shipping the device without GUI at all, everybody can then build the GUI they need and want.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I use TOHOKBD almost exclusively.
Lucky you. I was all excited when I got mine but after the initial novelty wore out, I found it less useful than expected. That has nothing to do with TOHKBD itself, it's the Sailfish UI that does not lend itself to a convenient use with a keyboard. I ended up reverting back to using my TOHOLED and my TOHKBD is gathering dust. I was considering selling it but seeing how many are on offer for months with little interest, I gave up.

Basically this can be avoided by just shipping the device without GUI at all, everybody can then build the GUI they need and want.
I would prefer "install from repository" to "build". That of course implies that one can use standard repositories and avoid the blunder all mobiles make, including Jolla - trying to lock the user in with their own proprietary "app store".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
I do wonder whether we can use the jTab adaptation on other Bay-Trail Z3735F SOC based Tablets, as there are a few around, although hard to find one with a decent screen...

There is already decent work on getting mainline linux to work on these Bay-Trail based devices so it would be a good place to start I think.
Baytrail is utter rubbish:
You may not want that Windows Bay Trail tablet after all

No one has succeeded in getting linux running completely on
any Bay Trail hardware - there are far too many driver issues.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Note that Fedlet is Adam Wiliamsons own hobby project. But its is true that the Gnome developers do work on making Gnome shell more touch friendly, even though this is probably targeted mostly on touchscreen laptops rather than on "true" mobile devices.

As for Fedora, it already works on various arm boards, but given the condition that the target device must be able to run mainline kernel then I'm afraid we would not see it officially on many mobile devices any time soon due to the overall kernel forking madness.

Also I don think anyone has used libhybris with Fedora so far, but even when he did I'm not sure this would be supportable as an official Fedora project deliverable. But I could imagine a libhybris using Fedora spin/remix - if enough people from the Fedora community would be interested working on it.

Never underestimate AdamW, he is an one man IT army. ;-)
AdamW is the stuff of legend in the linux industry,
and is due a great deal of respect.

I was answering the previous post but got interrupted:
Very cool! Any chance of this getting anything like official support from RedHat? (And, I guess, given that the Fedlet page says that it is now "Semi-Dormant", is there a future at all for Fedlet?)
Hmmm,
without dropping names or mentioning privy discussions,
I cannot provably demonstrate that Fedlet
and anything it represents is probably not going anywhere,
but you read what you might into that statement.

Just recognize that Fedora is driven by RedHat and
they have a very focused attention on where Fedora is headed
and any detours from that particular corporate toll road
would require permission never found inside their ecosystem.
Several someones at RedHat did apologize to me at one point:
they seemed to have problems with corporate direction.
From those discussions I do understand how difficult it is to keep the RHEL boat
moving in the direction of the bow without someone asking
for things which are far outside their foundry, so to speak.
But nevermind all that water under the bridge....

There are other things I know about tablets.

I am somewhat hopeful that there will eventually be an intel cpu
which is not yet another ATOM SoC (Chit ona Ship)
so we can get off the Android sludge-way.
They have not yet gotten the message yet but there is hope.
Doing anything with Android hardware is just plain ridiculous.
People who do that must be masochistic somehow.
This also applies to the SoC architecture
Intel keeps tossing on the market,
much like I did when feeding the pigs back on the farm:
It is a bucket - got something mushy in it,
the hogs are hungry so just tip it over the top rail
and watch them go at it !
That is the consumer device market - they almost do not care
what they get as long as the advertising is in color and on 24/7.

Give me a computer and a USB stick or a dvd drive
and I can generally find some way to install something on it,
regardless of whether it is ancient or leading edge.
That is strictly impossible with Android hardware.

To do anything with Android the first requirement is that you
have a working computer properly set up to juice the Arm
from outside, much like all the special tools needed to construct a
ship in a bottle
It is not impossible,
I just regard it as verging on being stupidly subservient
to people who could just as easily build proper bootloading
into the hardware.

for a more eloquent discussion of totally stupid Android is,
just dive into the horses mouth:
https://community.arm.com/groups/and...r-arm-platform

even better is this excellent explanation of why ANDROID
hardware is so blindingly stupid to work with:
http://android.stackexchange.com/que...om-a-usb-drive.

Android is not just stupid,
it is just beyond an order of magnitude more stupid.
It is the biggest reason why their is no working fremantle
ported to any working Android hardware - too much fiddling around pumping this and that into an image and retry-recompile.

but, keep in mind, Intel is not far behind with the ATOM:

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
Baytrail is utter rubbish:
You may not want that Windows Bay Trail tablet after all

No one has succeeded in getting linux running completely on
any Bay Trail hardware - there are far too many driver issues.
Care to elaborate?

That link is a little light on details really, the USB issue is an issue with USB, and not really specific to Baytrail. 500ma is likely not enough to run the tablet, and shorting the data-lines is the standard way to signal to the tablet that it can draw more than 500ma, maybe USB3/C will improve this once we see more devices with that standard.

The GPS chips they put in them is a bit unfortunate, but not a showstopper for me.

That link is also 2 years old, has anything changed in this time regarding Baytrail devices?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I was wondering. Why not build on work that has been done using chroot environment to put linux on top of (or coexist with) android. For example

http://linuxonandroid.org/

or maybe better (not sure...)

http://whiteboard.ping.se/Android/Debian

Some advantages are that there is little or no performance sacrifice. You can still use android apps, make calls use all social media apps that folks like on android and so forth while simultaneously having, say, debian linux or your favorite distro at your fingertips. Also, you will be able to take advantage of more of the latest hardware out there. Seems like if 5 to 10 people from maemo put effort into this great strides could be made in the short term. Then, maybe long term, try Mer-based OS or some approach that is more aesthetically pleasing from the ground up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I was wondering. Why not build on work that has been done using chroot environment to put linux on top of (or coexist with) android.
Hmm. I kind of thought that Hybris was already following this concept, only at a lower level.

http://linuxonandroid.org/
Well, it doesn't sound like this project is doing much better than Sailfish, though. This is from one of the latest blog entires (from back in February this year):

As many have pointed out the project over the past six months seem to come to a stand still with very little reason given.
Well there any many reason but the main being that the developers on the project simply had no free time to work on this, money dried up and I (the lead developer) had to step back to work more on paid projects and keep the bills paid!

http://whiteboard.ping.se/Android/Debian
This one seems interesting... I may give it a try, once I acquire an Android device to hack on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hmm. I kind of thought that Hybris was already following this concept, only at a lower level.

Well, it doesn't sound like this project is doing much better than Sailfish, though. This is from one of the latest blog entires (from back in February this year):

This one seems interesting... I may give it a try, once I acquire an Android device to hack on.
In regards to hybris I guess it is a question of where you want to start...

While significant progress was made over the years, developer interest has waned for Linux on Android app. Regardless you can access android apps while running a linux distribution. I actually have several images (ubuntu, fedora and archlinux) stored on my phone's microsd card that I fire up once in a while.
Here is an screenshot from my phone where I'm running ubuntu with LXDE. At the same time, I can open a floating window for the android dialpad from which I can make a call. Also you can connect, via micro usb to hdmi, to bigger screen so I can have a linux desktop when coupled to a bluetooth keyboard. But there are problems that need to be addressed. For example LXDE is not finger friendly (I use Mate DE for fedora and that is a little better). Drivers are missing so I can't, from the Ubuntu side of things, play music. Instead I would have to use an android app player .

The last option I mentioned is something I would like to take a closer look at as well. Just have to free up some time!
Attached Images

Last edited by mscion; 2015-12-10 at 18:45.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
[OT]to this thread, but this
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Lucky you. I was all excited when I got mine but after the initial novelty wore out, I found it less useful than expected. That has nothing to do with TOHKBD itself, it's the Sailfish UI that does not lend itself to a convenient use with a keyboard. I ended up reverting back to using my TOHOLED and my TOHKBD is gathering dust.
is exactly (ofc just one ) reason why I still use N900![/OT]

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: