I want to dual boot my N900 with... something. Not sure what, I want to test a few options. But I've been struggling with it and can't find my way out of the pickle.

I think I have uboot. Or do I? I am not sure. I boot with the slider open and get a white screen with a menu with two options: Boot Maemo and Power Off. Is that uboot? Probably not, because I opened the Uninstall section of the App Manager and couldn't find any uboot.

I followed the instructions for SHR, installed it on an 8GB SD card, put it in the N900 and... nothing happened. I booted with the slider open and got a white screen with a menu with two options: Boot Maemo and Power Off. No sign of SHR.

Then I followed the instructions to install Ubuntu. Boy, did that take long! 5 hours, I think! And after all that, no joy, because I can't make it boot.

So I tried to install uboot just to make sure I really had it. I found two versions: pr13 and Pali's U-boot with kernel 2.6.28-omap1. I can't install either. For pr13, an error message says it is incompatible with the Power User kernel. For Pali's, it says "!!!U-Boot with kernel 2.6.28-omap1 breaks the 3rd party package policy." Whatever that means.

Fine, I found the Power User kernel and uninstalled it. Then I rebooted.

Then I tried to install the two versions of uboot and still got the same error messages. But I uninstalled the Power User kernel! What's going on?

Then I kind of panicked a little, clicked and read a lot of things. I remember I saw somewhere that I was supposed to install 'Nokia kernel' or something like that in order to remove the Power User kernel properly. But where is that Nokia kernel? I can't find it.

I didn't use my N900 for almost a year so I forgot a lot of stuff and now I am very confused. Can someone please shed some light on this situation?

I found a 'Nokia kernel' item in the list of applications. But when I run it, it says

"Error during installation: Could not install Nokia kernel."

sigh...

Since I didn't get any help, I flashed the phone. Then I could finally install U-boot pr13.

But it still doesn't work. I followed all the instructions for SHR, and when booting, the boot sequence always defaults to the maemo OS, not the SD card.

So I press some key to interrupt the default boot sequence and 'run mmcboot' and get this error:
Boting from mmc ...
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
So I tried the Ubuntu installation, with the custom kernel. No progress, I still get the same error.

How do I make it work? And how come I don't get any replies here? Am I being punished for having failed to read some instruction somewhere that I am supposed to look again and again over and over in some corner of this forum until I finally find it and solve it by myself instead of bothering other people with my problems?

mate post the steps , install kernel power & kernel-power-bootimg
after that install cssu testing , reboot ,install latest u-boot , extract your operating system rootfs ,after that copy .item file of the kernel you want to boot in etc/bootmenu.d, after that in xterm type after you gained root : u-boot-update-bootmenu , more noobish than that I don't know how to explain

Install kernel power? But I said above, there are two versions of U-boot only, pr13 and Pali's U-boot with kernel 2.6.28-omap1. The pr13 one is incompatible with kernel power. The other one says "!!!U-Boot with kernel 2.6.28-omap1 breaks the 3rd party package policy" and won't install, even with the newly flashed phone, without kernel power.

Then you mention

after that copy .item file of the kernel you want to boot in etc/bootmenu.d, after that in xterm type after you gained root : u-boot-update-bootmenu
I didn't see that part of the instructions in any of the tutorials. I had no way to know that was necessary. Can you please elaborate? Where is that .item file you speak of?

Thank you for the attention.