Hi,

I am looking to pick up a 16GB MicroSD card. (32GB are just too pricey right now. I am debating between Class 2, 4, or 6. From what I have read class 6 exceeds the maximum read/write speed of many spartphones. Is there any point in getting Class 4 or 6? Will there be a noticable improvement? I intend to install NitDroid on this card so I am looking to get optimal performance.

The Following User Says Thank You to Clubberlang For This Useful Post:
this is a good question that i have been tryin tot get answered for a while now
another maemo user told me that a class 6 card gives a decent speed boost for nitdroid ?
dj steve uses class 6 cards himself so there must be a reason?

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
It would definitely be wise to buy a class 4 or 6 card as, better i/o better performance. hard disk/storage is the bottle neck most of the times.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Class 6, if using the microsd for swap.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
as higher class number as you can find.
Class 10 Is good

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Southern California
I'm using a class 6 SanDisk with no issues. same card I put in my N97 when I swap sim. Can't wait for 32gb to get cheap and available, tho

For OS use, even class 6 cards slow down to class 0.1, so it's probably a good idea to get the fastest there is.

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
Is there any 'scientific' way of testing the read/write speed (you know... "there is an app for that...")? If YES, maybe people could post their results here and we could make informed decisions?
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I've read articles on Class2 and 4 cards outperforming Class 6s, depending on the manufacturer/model/batch.

These 'classes' just define the bottom limit of the card's performance and just a single metric at that (sustained sequential transfer speed) which matters more for image transfers.

Unfortunately for us, we care more about random access time and random read speed, neither of which are rated.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I've read articles on Class2 and 4 cards outperforming Class 6s, depending on the manufacturer/model/batch.

These 'classes' just define the bottom limit of the card's performance and just a single metric at that (sustained sequential transfer speed) which matters more for image transfers.

Unfortunately for us, we care more about random access time and random read speed, neither of which are rated.
lovely. this complicates my purchase. i'm gonna look for benchmarks