Posts: 92 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Sacramento, CA USA
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
AEGIS open-mode thread here
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81579
I know.....I'm just wondering if you need to have that kernel to have opensh work...

Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
Lost SSH Root Access? Let me help you!

Post PR1.1, to enable remote root login again (or rather make it controllable via
/etc/ssh/sshd_config like before):

Code:
echo -e 'mkdir -m 0755 -p /var/run/sshd\nexec /usr/sbin/sshd $SSHD_OPTS' >> /etc/default/ssh
pkill -9 /usr/sbin/sshd
and reboot.

Since running this code I can't access my device via SSH/WinSCP, get '"Connection Refused' err msg

Also tried device terminal command "ssh user@local host" with escalated privileges (as devel-su) but get similar 'Connection Refused' err msg ???

HELP!!

Originally Posted by scottparrisuk View Post
Since running this code I can't access my device via SSH/WinSCP, get '"Connection Refused' err msg

Also tried device terminal command "ssh user@local host" with escalated privileges (as devel-su) but get similar 'Connection Refused' err msg ???

HELP!!
Found fix on MeeGo.com ... Posting here for anyone trawling the web looking for it ... Should have know better ...

1.Switch Off Developer Mode in Settings > Security
2.Uninstall developer-mode in Settings>Applications>Manage Applications
3.Reboot device
4.Switch On Developer Mode in Settings > Security
5.Allow auto install of Developer Mode App

MeeGo/Nokia - This bug needs a fix pronto ...

The Following User Says Thank You to scottparrisuk For This Useful Post:
Yay, it's turn to become locked out...

Device: N9pr1.3

I cannot access root with devel-su as I am getting "password incorrect".
I cannot access the phone withj SSH (connection refused)
Cannot edit sshd_config as I need root privilages
Cannot change passwd
Cannot find a hammer within close proximity to smash the bloody thing.

I have been through this thread and others + Links but still can't gain root access?

I have not tried opensh as the page linked above suggests you need open mode which I do not have as I'm using inception.

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
minkin2,

Use N9QTweak to do it... Since it has root privileges without having to enter the password to use the app... It will allow you to set a new password too...

http://wiki.maemo.org/N9QTweak#Tweak...6_Root_Filebox

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-11-18 at 00:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
minkin2,

Use N9QTweak to do it... Since it has root privileges without having to enter the password to use the app... It will allow you to set a new password too...

http://wiki.maemo.org/N9QTweak#Tweak...6_Root_Filebox
That's brilliant mate. Many Thankyous!

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
That's brilliant mate. Many Thankyous!
No probs but does it work out well?

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Works like a charm mate!
Had to charge my phone again in the mean time, so left it over night. All is good now

Thanks again mate.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ St Helens, England.
I tried this and now my phone won't connect to the internet, it says it's in flight mode even though it's turned off. Bluetooth is also stuck on. Nokia suite and Nokia software updater won't recognise my phone, so I can't reflash the firmware. Would anyone be able to help me with this?

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by litemotiv View Post
The default user is already called 'user', so i can't create that. Also changing the password for 'user' isn't allowed, issuing passwd returns 'The password for user cannot be changed'. :(

Edit: Ok i managed to change the user password through devel-su, i can ssh in now. Still not sure what the default password was supposed to be...
I think that user account is locked by default (/etc/passwd contains user:!:) and has no password. This means that user can't login via SSH (I didn't try it so correct me if I'm wrong).

If in /etc/passwd you change user:!: to user:*: the user account should work normally. Remember to either set user password (as anyone could otherwise login as user) or disable logins with password from /etc/ssh/sshd_config completely and use key based authentication instead (recommended).

I strongly advice against enabling root login in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. First because it's often a security risk (always if you have password based auth.) and second because it's simply unnecessary. Just login as user and change to "root" with devel-su and/or elevate priviledges with develsh when needed.

Last edited by ladoga; 2012-12-17 at 15:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post: