Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Good to hear - do you have a link to the discussion?
Not quite about that but an interview that just came out today about updates and bugs. http://mobiili.fi/2013/12/18/jolla-p...-on-valintoja/

"It was a conscious choice to release this version of the software and develop it together with the user community,"
before the end of the year there will be another larger patch, which will fill gaps and bugs in the phone's problem areas. During this first quarter of 2014 they plans to focus on new, still missing functions in Sailfish.

Jolla has promised new updates on a monthly basis. This is also helped by Sailfish's technical architecture. "It's very modular. If you will upgrade Bluetooth, it'll only be in it. If you compare it to the Nokia N9, there was a giant block. If you changed small things, you had to change the whole stack. The consumer will become furious pretty quickly if they were asked to download a 400-megabyte package once a week."
Also, users' opinions carry weight with the way Jolla progresses. "I can promise you that the feedback will be reflected in the product and in the software." ... "Key features come first," says Pienimäki. "For our purposes it is balancing how different things are prioritized.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Any Finn here know what this tweet by Jukka is all about?

@yle_areena kiitos Jolla-sovelluksesta!
https://twitter.com/jukkaeklund/stat...31248220995584

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Any Finn here know what this tweet by Jukka is all about?

https://twitter.com/jukkaeklund/stat...31248220995584
Not a Finn but I'll answer He's thanking YLE for submitting their TV app to the Jolla store.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Not a Finn but I'll answer He's thanking YLE for submitting their TV app to the Jolla store.

But it seems like we are not talking about native sailfish app here?

EDIT: Answered on the tweet. Not native app.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-12-18 at 16:22.

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
No smartphone is launched fully featured but I don't think any phone has launched with so many bugs.
Remembering the iPhone Without Apps, MMS, and Copy Paste

+ no GPS, no 3G, ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
So it can only become better. Right now it's on par with the N9, I'd say. Disabling 3G in areas with weak reception helps a bit, too.
I'd say its still superior to N9, at least on some use cases. Power consumption seems to bee quite constant regardless of what I'm doing with it. Last couple of days my Jolla has been online (3G and WiFi at the evenings), Skype online for day and some phone calls and some Internet surfing. With similar usage N9 would have run out of power before 19.00. So, even very unoptimized Jolla seems to beat N9 on that regard.

Also, reception seems to be better on Jolla, I talked with my friend while driving back home today, usually N9 (and every other phone I have used also) would drop a call at least once on that route. Jolla didn't have any problems on the same route. So, I'd say we have pretty solid smartphone, although there is much work to do with it.

Last edited by JulmaHerra; 2013-12-18 at 16:35.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Not quite about that but an interview that just came out today about updates and bugs. http://mobiili.fi/2013/12/18/jolla-p...-on-valintoja/
In that interview they mention also that the facebook notifications are not integrated not for technical reasons, but for legal ones, something along "Large firms [..] have a large army of lawyers and sometimes it shows" in google translate. And that this may apply to several services. I hope the UI is open enough that it is fixable by third parties, even if I personally could not care less about facebook...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
Remembering the iPhone Without Apps, MMS, and Copy Paste

+ no GPS, no 3G, ...
Given that many would (sadly) argue that the iPhone defined what a smartphone was and what it did, it is only hindsight that tells us these features were 'missing'.

What you can't do is come late to the party missing functionality and features that have become an accepted part of the smartphone repertoire (e.g. Microsoft missing copy and paste in Windows Phone) and hope everyone will be forgiving about that lack.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Given that many would (sadly) argue that the iPhone defined what a smartphone was and what it did, it is only hindsight that tells us these features were 'missing'.

What you can't do is come late to the party missing functionality and features that have become an accepted part of the smartphone repertoire (e.g. Microsoft missing copy and paste in Windows Phone) and hope everyone will be forgiving about that lack.
At the same time the thing is that WP, Harmattan, iOS, Android all have come out missing obvious features. Even with WP7 being pretty much iOS4 all the way till WP8, it has been able to emerge as the winner out of "others".

But your point indeed stands and is hard to argue against. Why should you settle for less? Jolla certainly isn't capable of the waiting game Microsoft has been able to do with WP.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
IMHO, this is exactly what Apple also did. Additionally Apple provided new features that were not common to other smartphones and that created part of the coolness despite the missing and lacking features.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience