Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
Oh Desktop!. That explains why the screen shots show such large desktops.

Are they working on a Maemo edition? Forgive me if this is covered somewhere else.
Its KOrganizer which is part of Kontact. See kontact.kde.org/korganizer. These applications are currently in beta stage near a (big) milestone.

Someone is porting the application to Maemo, but it isn't clear when such port is released for the general public. I wouldn't hold my breath, for now, but the Maemo Summit is held in a week and this will show all kind of news about Maemo and the NIT.

See it as a teaser. Can you feel it?

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
I've got goosebumps!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
You keep teasing Texrat. How about at least some sort of timeframe as to when we might start seeing the fruits of these hidden labours ?

Pretty Please...

Zuber
If I could do that much, I could provide other details as well. Can't, sorry.

And I only tease to provide filler between major developments. Like the poor comic who tells bad jokes between the acts you really came to see. Please hold the tomatoes.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
What would you like to sync? There is no good PIM solution on the NIT. If KOrganizer would work, and is themeable in a positive manner so it blends in with the rest of the GTK2 applications you'd have at least one other solution. Potentially, one which does pass the usability tests.
You're so demanding! By definition, KDE apps are not really GTK2 themeable.

If you want Kontact suite, you can get them now in a couple of places; penguinbait's KDE suite, or Debian (Easy Debian or Deblet).

allnameswereout, is the calendar screen any more useable when fullscreened?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Qole, this works quite good with QT 4.4+:

http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Styles/GtkStyle

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bundyo, that sounds like the way to go to bring qt4 apps to the maemo desktop.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Yup, i believe Nokia already knows that

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by qole View Post
You're so demanding! By definition, KDE apps are not really GTK2 themeable.

With Qt3 you can use a Qt Clearlooks theme. On a GNOME desktop with Clearlooks theme this looks relatively good.

I think Qt4's GtkStyle is even better because (if I understood correct) it completely derives from the current GTK2 theme.

However because I never used Qt4's GtkStyle I'm not able to state if it'd be good enough for me, nor imagine if it'd be good enough for the average user.

All in all, considering Nokia is adopting Qt4 on the NIT (and maybe Symbian?) and given there isn't a well functioning and usable PIM or Office suit for the NIT this is IMO a very excited endevour. Not only for current NIT users, also for average people who'd like to buy a NIT in the future provided it fills their needs.

If you want Kontact suite, you can get them now in a couple of places; penguinbait's KDE suite, or Debian (Easy Debian or Deblet).
Thanks. How is, in your opinion, the performance and usability of a vanilla port of KOffice to Deblet/Easy Debian?

allnameswereout, is the calendar screen any more useable when fullscreened?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I'm unable to answer your question. I merely came across this screenshot here and felt it was interesting enough to share. Here are binaries and sources, and in the parent directory is other interesting aspects for the visually inclined. Elsewhere are some KOffice shots.

KOffice is fairly weak; I prefer AbiWord and Gnumeric. I have have a post somewhere where I compare the WP component of the various office suites available on the tablet.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ya never know... PIM tools may show up in the strangest places...
Oh look what turned up on my N800!

I fullscreened it and put the toolbars on the left side, but it is still pretty cramped vertically. As always, the designer's assumption of a big, 4:3 aspect ratio screen shows through...

Also, because it isn't GTK, tap-and-hold doesn't work for right-click. If there are any right-click dependent functions, using them would require a hack. I don't know if the GtkStyle project handles this kind of non-visual GTK thing. I hope it does, but...

Now all I need is some reason to use it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: