Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by unique311 View Post
you can get the N800 deb HERE
Xnlt! Thanks for posting this link so quickly! I installed and updated Gizmo with no trouble and set up my account with the same ease as with Skype. Of course I haven't had time to go home and install it there so I can test it out, but so far this looks great! Woohoo! Another new toy to play with!!

I have installed both n800 and pc version - n800 works ok but I can not see any thing or hear anything on pc, only its own web cam.
n800 can see both cams and sound is ok.
one up for the n800

same problem here

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
@zerojay
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I wonder if RTCOMM will be enough to use for video chat. Might not be if Gizmo uses proprietary video codecs.
when using RTCOMM instead of Gizmo 4.0.0(v82) an error box with the following message opens on the desktop side:
StartVideoEx Failed - Error:<>
[PS - audio continues functioning]
... when I then stop the call from the n800 RTCOMM side an error box with this message pops up on the desktop side:
StopVideoEx Failed - Error: <CCall::ReleaseRenderers failed. <No matching callID>>

@ consean, scrappy898
when using Gizmo 4.0.0(v82):
video works in both directions for me
- on both the n800 and my 'desktop' I can see the other party & small picture in picture of myself.
[when initiating call from n800, the 'desktop' side has to additionally click on the video icon - because there is no dedicated 'video call' on the n800 4.0.0(v82) yet, I guess]
- as mentioned in my first post my 'desktop' is an older toshiba tabletPC and although the video is functioning the audio is "lagging / not working?"; however this is probably due to my underpowered tabletPC.
- my webcam is an old yet good quality 'Intel PC Camera Pro'

Last edited by ichmoimeyo; 2007-09-28 at 00:33.

I think StartVideoEx Failed - Error:<> is a regular gizmo fault not related to RTCOM - I currently get it on 2nd use of gizmo video on PC to N800 following a restart. i.e. One video call per boot - The N800 end is being much better behaved. Video and audio flakey but mostly down to IP/internet packet delay and loss I think.

Still in an excellent condition for 'early beta' and bodes well for the future - and hopefuly a PC linux version soon.

I write to report that I actually have this working! I have an N800 to PC connection up and the video and audio are working. The video is terrible and the audio is lagging on both ends, but that really doesn't matter to me right now! In fact, the effect is kind of trippy, but I won't get into that right now.

So, I tried last nite to get it going between my wife's ancient laptop and then to my newer PC (vista) and was unable to get a connection. I don't know what's different today, although I did create a special account just for testing

I'm just delighted to see this option developing and I am grateful to the people working on the project for releasing the software in beta for geeks like me! Keep up the good work!!

Peace

I can barely get the audio for pc to n800 to work. I can't imagine getting video to work. The program is extremely buggy and crashes all the time.

Still unable to get video between N800 and PC.
I istalled the suggested Gizmo software versions on both N800 and a Win VISTA PC
On PC i get voice OK but when I try to use video get the StartVideoEx Failed - Error: <> that somebody else already mentioned .
On N800 I started a call with a PC MSN user. After quite a delay the connection was established . On PC i had both sound and video (was MSN Messanger running not Gizmo!) on N800 only sound , video was black (no message availabel).

I'm quite disappointed since my main interest in getting N800 was to use it for video conferencing with PC partner.
I will stand by hoping that skype or gizmo will come out with a video working setup....

Marco

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I got video working just fine between my N800 and an xp machine that doesn't have a camera. The only real trick was making sure I had the beta Gizmo software for xp.

I don't see how one can be 'disappointed' when beta software doesn't work. That's what beta software acts like.

Alas, after my early reports of success, I have not been able to reproduce it. I got it to work between my N800 and the XP-PC at work, but at home, on my Vista-PC and my wife's XP-laptop, I can get the IM to work, but when I place a call (not even a video call) it 'connects' but there is no sound (mic is hooked up) and when I 'hang up' the program crashes.

Of course it is beta, so I'm not 'disappointed' per se, just hopeful that it will work when we get the new OS.

On another front, I saw (again) an announcement for TokBox. Has anyone investigated as to whether or not this will work for the N800?