Active Topics

Notices

0.30 is at rc6 and I will be moving it to an official release shortly.

However I've refactored the code and the shared memory stuff worked so well I also wrote an OBD2 version that works with elm-327 compatible devices (I use obdpros).
For the bleeding edgers, the links are up at http://www.zdez.org but it is a beta. Minigpsd should function the same, but you will need to manually start miniobd2d (the OBD settings are from the minigpsd setup programs - uncheck Harley), and the obdecode program (xterm - prints out status when any parameter changes)

Minigpsd has a new annotation UDP port. Send any text to port 32347 and it will be added as an XML comment in the KML file. It truncates the line at the first control character, but you can send multiple lines. I don't protect for double-dash (if "--" appears in the text) which will confuse Google Earth.

Miniobd2d will write the PID returns to this port so they will be logged in the KML.

Major TODOs:

0. Start up miniobd2d when minigpsd starts, alternately add to the setup program.

1. Scheduler - so mobd2d will do rpm, speed, etc. more often than coolant temperature, user settable.

2. Startup/connect robustness (sometimes the connection doesn't respond or is slow causing problems). Also figure out if I have to add special things for special vehicles.

3. Python dashboard - something simple but fast showing all the gauge information. I have something simple for my Harley.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Slight update, not really stable, but the scheduler is in.
(speed, heading from gps, rpm, and engine coolant temp)
Attached Images

How is your obd-II different from carman (aside from the obvious). And have you considered working with/adding to carman? I'm not sure if their souce is available yet, though.

I have already started a message stream with the CarMan project. My project is more toward logging, not display, so the "engine" is more important than the "body". In fact I've altered the program and wrote example programs SPECIFICALLY so that it would be fast and easy to integrate into Carman, but Carman itself is larger and more complex, though I think minigpsd/miniobd2d would simplify it a great deal.

My code is GPLv3 - they are welcome to use it. But I am still working on the OBD2 communication core.

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The logging of the data is a great addition, but it'd be best if Carman would abstract the interface and use a library or even miniobd2 for their purprose. This way, 3rd party applications can use the same interface again. And, the logs can be parsed with other applications such as Fuelpad.

Carman has 2 abstraction layers. The first one is in libobd or the old obdlib(python) that deals with the obd communication itself and support ELM and ozen based scantools. The second layer was added on the 0.7 version with a daemon that collects data from GPS and OBD, save them to build a trip log and send them though D-Bus to the UI. The code is GPL as well and it is available at the garage's svn (carman project).

0.31-pre0c is in Extras-devel.

0.31-pre0d is on http://www.zdez.org - the big thing is Valentine V1 radar detector support.
Attached Images

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
0.31-pre0c is in Extras-devel.
Hi,

I just installed pre0c and tried it with a ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 CAN-BUS Interface Scanner elm_327 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370109454632 )

I could not check the OBD2 decoding (I could not download the saved kmz files yet, maybe later tonight) but one thing I noticed is that Carman can't see the OBD2 adapter while minigpsd is running. As soon as I stop minigpsd, Carman connects just fine to the adapter.

Regards,
Hakan

At this time Carman and minigpsd use the same "connection" which can only be used one at a time.

Tags
gps, obd2