Notices

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
There were many threads about 720p videos. Here are some I could find:
- http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=49715
- http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50298
- http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57881
Thanks, but all those post... end in nothing specific....

Is there any developer making this possible? Like many people i think, the nokia n900 is capable to record&play HD content ( 1280x720 )

And the camera is a bit bad to be a Carl Zeiss lens

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I doubt this (720p hw accelerated decode) is possible without support from Nokia or TI.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Klein/Spring, Texas, USA
Originally Posted by rocky333 View Post
Thanks, but all those post... end in nothing specific....

Is there any developer making this possible? Like many people i think, the nokia n900 is capable to record&play HD content ( 1280x720 )

And the camera is a bit bad to be a Carl Zeiss lens
It is capable, at least the hardware is.

Here are some specs from the OMAP3430 product page :

* New OMAP™ 3 architecture combines mobile entertainment with high performance productivity applications
* Industry's first processor with advanced Superscalar ARM® Cortex™-A8 RISC core enabling 3x gain in performance
* Industry's first processor designed in 65-nm CMOS process technology for increased processing performance
* IVA™ 2+ (Image Video Audio) accelerator enables multi-standard (MPEG4, WMV9, RealVideo, H263, H264) encode/decode at D1 (720x480 pixels) 30 fps, and up to 720p resolutions
* Dedicated Imagination POWERVR SGX 2D/3D graphics hardware gives user interface and gaming developers the power to create rich graphics effects with cinematic realism
* Support for OpenGL ES 1.1, ES 2.0, and OpenVG
* Integrated Image Signal Processor (ISP) for faster, higher-quality image capture and lower system cost
* Flexible system support
o Composite and S-video TV output
o XGA (1024x768 pixels), 16M-color (24-bit definition) display support
o Flatlink™ 3G-compliant serial display and parallel display support
o High Speed USB2.0 On-The-Go support
* Leverages SmartReflex™ technologies for advanced power reduction
* M-shield™ mobile security enhanced with ARM TrustZone™ support
* Software-compatible with OMAP™ 2 processors
* Supports Linux, Android Mobile Platform, Symbian and Windows Mobile
jdb2

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
You do not need support from Nokia or Ti to get 720p working, overclock and install VLC player and you will have 720p simple as that.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 383 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hong Kong
It's not the video resolution that matters; it's bitrate. I bet you can play 1920x1080 videos smoothly on N900, provided its bitrate is only <=400kbps :P

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Klein/Spring, Texas, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You do not need support from Nokia or Ti to get 720p working, overclock and install VLC player and you will have 720p simple as that.
Or overclock ( I'm running at 1150MHz ) and install mplayer.
It works for me.

jdb2

The Following User Says Thank You to jdb2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
And watch a movie at 720p with 1.15Ghz clock speed then the N900 died after 40minutes of the movie duration. That is awesome! lol

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
And watch a movie at 720p with 1.15Ghz clock speed then the N900 died after 40minutes of the movie duration. That is awesome! lol
I am thinking that you could do pretty much the same thing on any phone. Batteries are

a) small capacity
b) have not kept pace with the tech

Why do you need to oc so much. I oc to 850 ulv and generally 720 runs just fine.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by rocky333 View Post
1- I don't wastle time converting a video.
2- sometimes, the movies come in 720P.
3- I prefer to play 720P i can "feel" more detail than standart 480p.
Ok, ok, I know you're going to hate me for saying this, but yes -- I do "waste" time converting videos. Ever since I found Handbrake, I love having the ability to let my desktop computer spend time and effort optimizing videos for playback on my handheld devices, customized to their exact resolution, rather than forcing them to muck around with real-time conversion of data. You can get a better quality of video and much smaller file sizes; what's not to like?

I sometimes do store 720p or 1080p videos on my N900, but that's for when I plug it into the USB port of a device with sufficient screen real-estate.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ok, ok, I know you're going to hate me for saying this, but yes -- I do "waste" time converting videos. Ever since I found Handbrake, I love having the ability to let my desktop computer spend time and effort optimizing videos for playback on my handheld devices, customized to their exact resolution, rather than forcing them to muck around with real-time conversion of data. You can get a better quality of video and much smaller file sizes; what's not to like?
You will get worse quality by re-encoding, not better.

If I download a video from internet or load it directly from my camera with HEN for example, I don't have even option to re-encode it with my computer..

And the size of video doesn't matter that much with device which has 32-64 GB internal storage and support 3 TB external storages

I tried to run ~0.43 MB/s x264/AAC/MKV 720p video from eMMC with VLC 1.1.5 and I only got the first frame :/ My CPU is running at 900 Mhz.

Last edited by laasonen; 2011-03-13 at 01:34.

Tags
texting