Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Boston, MA
Hi all,

I guess I can be considered a newbie; although, I've been using the nokia n810 since its inception... learned a little python, followed the advice of several forum leaders since internettablettalk was the main arena for discussion..

The chase: I've been searching for how to get Elinks on the n900..

All I came up with, after searching the wikis and other non-affiliated maemo sites, were different posts about it being available for diablo in the diablo dev extras repos. Can this work with fremantle somehow?

I don't know how to cross-platform port or anything... Is there a published way on how to get Elinks on the n900?

Again, I've done my research.. and for no conclusive answer...I didn't just post.

I don't need an exact answer... a link in the right direction will suffice; although, I may come back with another question since I'm not as computationally skilled in the Linux realm as the majority of you guys..

Thanks in advance.

voyager1

As I wait for that helpful soul to come along... I think I'm going to try this:

Install Easy Debian so I can run debian scripts... then install [elinks_0.11.4-3_arm.deb] file...

Does that sound good or will my n900 explode?

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I think easy debian should work for that, no problems. There is a maemo build of lynx but I also prefer links/elinks.

You can probably install that package directly into maemo. If it doesn't have special dependencies and stuff then it should work. Backup settings before trying.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
Hi all,

I guess I can be considered a newbie; although, I've been using the nokia n810 since its inception... learned a little python, followed the advice of several forum leaders since internettablettalk was the main arena for discussion..

The chase: I've been searching for how to get Elinks on the n900..

All I came up with, after searching the wikis and other non-affiliated maemo sites, were different posts about it being available for diablo in the diablo dev extras repos. Can this work with fremantle somehow?

I don't know how to cross-platform port or anything... Is there a published way on how to get Elinks on the n900?

Again, I've done my research.. and for no conclusive answer...I didn't just post.

I don't need an exact answer... a link in the right direction will suffice; although, I may come back with another question since I'm not as computationally skilled in the Linux realm as the majority of you guys..

Thanks in advance.

voyager1
Have you considered the Lynx browser?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43375

The responses are well appreciated- thank you.

I already have lynks installed and have been using it regularly. I do, however, prefer to use Elinks.

Due to dependencies, I can not install the elinks deb file directly into maemo5.

So far, I downloaded Easy Debian and installed Elinks lite via the Synaptic app manager... It works sufficiently well; however, it is not optimal as it would be if I was running it directly from the native maemo terminal...

Seeing that I downloaded Elinks within easy debian.. can I run a series of commands from the native terminal so that I can use Elinks from there?

Thanks for the help..

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Nevinnomyssk
i looked at this page
http://maemo.org/packages/
and found at least 3 version(elinks,links and links-hacked)
you can enable devel repos and use apt-get or something else for use it

//upd
sorry, elinks not for fremantle
but links and links-hacked for fremantle(last one have some unicode throubles in xterm mode)

Last edited by bonapart; 2010-10-13 at 14:45.

Yes, I've been down that route as well.. thanks for looking however.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
The responses are well appreciated- thank you.

I already have lynks installed and have been using it regularly. I do, however, prefer to use Elinks.

Due to dependencies, I can not install the elinks deb file directly into maemo5.

So far, I downloaded Easy Debian and installed Elinks lite via the Synaptic app manager... It works sufficiently well; however, it is not optimal as it would be if I was running it directly from the native maemo terminal...

Seeing that I downloaded Elinks within easy debian.. can I run a series of commands from the native terminal so that I can use Elinks from there?

Thanks for the help..
I am assuming you mean you're using the Debian LXDE desktop.

You should be able to just open "debian chroot" and run it from there, I think.

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I am assuming you mean you're using the Debian LXDE desktop.

You should be able to just open "debian chroot" and run it from there, I think.
Yes, I was using the LXDE desktop..

Running it from debian chroot works actually. Thank you very much for the pointer stlpaul.